Marine Fish Mortality

BluePenguin

Hi Everyone,

(My first post :)

I was wondering what the opinions/experiences are out there as far as marine fish mortality... I am researching the hobby and seriously considering getting a saltwater system - The warning I find quite recurrent is the extreme fish mortality -and I quote a friend (experienced hobbyist):

"on average about 1 in 4 creatures we brought home survived a week. Some won't make it home from the store".

(This of course is taking into account all the rules - cycling the tank, checking water chemistry, proper feeding)

What can I expect as far as the survival rate? How long can I expect the fish to live (if they are healthy - and I've read up on some signs to look out for)

Is it true most sellers won't give a guarantee, and will not return $ even if the fish dies within a week? (Provided the carcass and water sample?)

Any insight very appreciated.

Ola

Edited by BluePenguin

My experience isn't quite the same as your friend's. As a matter of fact I'd probably say that my loss rate has probably been about the same as it would have been if I was getting wild caught FW fish. say about 70/30. It may take a while but you will eventually develop a good eye for what livestock is healthy and what isn't.

Frankly I would say that your friend need to take a long hard look at where they are buying their animals and how their tank is setup. If it doesn't even make it home, that's pretty horrible.

Go to another retailer. If they are properly caring for their fish, and barring the fish weren't originally collected with cyanide, there is NO reason the fish shouldnt surivive. If they're dying in the bag on the way home, they would have been showing considerable stress and pretty much looked like poop in the tank before they were purchased. Or they have the worst fish bagger north of the 49th

If the fish survive a week in his tank then die, there are some serious issues with the tank as well. What are the specs of the tank? Size, rock, filtration, flow, lighting, equipment, stock, ammonia/nitrites/nitrates?

If properly cared for, theres no reason most marine species wont live for 20+ years.

Thanks guys, that's reassuring... Seemed pretty unbelieveable that the death rate would be so high... I plan to do everything right with the setup but want to save myself the frustration of having stock perish anyways!!!

So true about checking the health and appearance of fish at the store... I've seen a few stores with carcasses littering the tanks, moldy indiviguals, generally BAD looking prospects...

My friend does not have the tanks anymore, he gave up the hobby a few years ago.

Can't thank you enough though - this was the only thing holding me back.

Edited by BluePenguin

Yeah to me that sounds like a bunch of shat. I have bought 7 saltwater fish in the last year and only 1 died and it took 8 months for that to happen, It was an impulse buy and I never researched it and he slowly starved (too small of tank too little food). So I would say it is not the fish it is care, water conditions, stress. SW fish are very easy to care for IME B)

Go to another retailer. If they are properly caring for their fish, and barring the fish weren't originally collected with cyanide, there is NO reason the fish shouldnt surivive. If they're dying in the bag on the way home, they would have been showing considerable stress and pretty much looked like poop in the tank before they were purchased. Or they have the worst fish bagger north of the 49th

If the fish survive a week in his tank then die, there are some serious issues with the tank as well. What are the specs of the tank? Size, rock, filtration, flow, lighting, equipment, stock, ammonia/nitrites/nitrates?

If properly cared for, theres no reason most marine species wont live for 20+ years.

I concur. Although I haven't kept saltwater, there's obviously a problem if your buddy can't manage to keep his purchase alive until he gets home from the store.

Is he referring to a LFS or is he bringing them in from out of town? The travel conditions for the two are very different.

IME, as long as the retailer (this goes either for local LFS or mail order livestock) has a clean, healthy system, survival rates should be very high. Restbits between arrival from collectors and being reshipped to consumers is also very important

There are some exceptions with certain species. Moorish idols, potters angles, certain anthias are one extreme which are almost not even worth collecting with the hundreds or even thousands that die before one survives long term (3+ years) in captivity. Theres more with bad survival records but thats what just popped in my head :wacko:

Research the fish before you buy so you can provide them what they need to thrive, and learn what stores to stay away from.