Testing kits

vic

I am again looking for advice. I will be buying a testing kit. My initial thought is that I should be looking for a kit that will do ammonia, Ite and Ate. Ph etc. are less of a concer in my mind. I have pretty much decided that I am not interested in the test strips. My understanding is that they are not very accurate and that they are comparitively quite a bit more expensive. You ideas on brand names would be appreciated.

Cheers; :thumbs:

The Hagen (Nutrafin) and AP kits are pretty comparable and what 90% of hobbists use.

Don't bother getting the full kit, you will end up with lots of stuff you won't use like gh, kh and a couple pH. Just buy the 3 kits you need, somtimes that will cost as much as an AP master kit though.

Personally I prefer the AP kits with one exception, the Nessler Reagent ammonia kit (the one that comes in the master fw kit) is not very good. It's prone to goofy interactions with certain water treatments as are all nessler kits.

If you buy at PJ's look for someone with a coupon book so you can get 25% off. They were in the 2004 and 2005 coupon book.

Sorry my oops - PJ's isn't in Red Deer but maybe the other LFS' in RD have coupons in the local coupon book.

Edited by arixonbarnes