busted ballast

TK421

Hi...

I think the ballast on my canope is busted. it just flicks the light on and off and my fish did not like it. at first i just thought it was the bulb but now that ive replaced it the problem isnt solved... is there a way to fix this or do i have to purchase a new canope? OR can i just get the light enclosure for that canope. the tank is your standard 33 gallon hagen that was purchased about 4-5 years ago.

How long can fish go with indirect light from sources outside or inside? its been about 36 hours now. I get paid 2morrow so i can go buy whatever to fix this..

Ambient light should work fine unless you're growing plants. Just as long as the fish have a consistent light cycle, they should be ok. When I was building my custom light fixture, my little guys went for about a week with just room light. They seem none the worse for wear.

I'm not sure what kind of fixture you have for your 33g though. Most likely it has a starter which can be replaced. Ballasts can be replaced as well, and are not hard to do as a DIY. Just make sure you unplug it before you start ;)

It's probably the starter, I had the same problem, but I changed the starter and it was fixed for $3.

Hagen lights are easy to change the starter too. Take it to Home Depot or Revy and ask them. Show them the problem and you can probably try a new starter without paying for it to make sure it works.

Ballasts for aquarium lights are HARD TO FIND. I had to find one for a old light and I gave up. It was easier to try to find a cheap flouresent light and try to swap out the parts instead.

-Andrew

Edited by Golfnut

Id catch the starter as well. Home Depot may have replaces or you can phone any electrical store. It will be cheaper and easier than replacing the ballast. Typically on the older canopys they used starters. Not sure if they still do or not.

If that doesnt work, change the ballast.

HTH

Actually, both starters and ballasts for aquarium canopies are easily found. I know Pisces carries both. If you aren't sure which is the problem, take the light strip down so you can see if it's the starter right in the store. Last I checked, ballasts ran between $15 and 25 dollars. How old is the canopy? Some of the older canopies, e.g. 8+ year old Marina canopies, have a hard to find 5-wire ballast, but can easily be rewired for a 2 wire ballast.

okay 3 dollars later ive discoverd its the ballast .. i was at HD tnight and saw some ballasts there.. the smallest was about 13 bucks.. how do i know which ballast I need?

the light is 25 watts..

im taking the hood appart now so maybe ill answer my own question

The ballast is based on the type of light bulb. 33 gallon probably has a 30" 24 watt bulb... and it is T8.

You're going to have to take it to a specialty wholesaler lighting store. Home Depot and such will not carry this type of ballast. In Calgary I would try BriteLite.

My guess is it will be about $20-25.

Regards,

Andrew