Lightbulbs

KTV

I found some of these "Natural Light" bulbs designed for aquariums and plants at the Home Depot for about 7 bucks a peice, they specify that it's good for home and aquarium plants. However they are only rated at 40 W.

Compared to regular flourescents they are dimmer and have a purple tinge to them. Since it was a bit to dark for my tastes I used one along with a flouresent bulb in the dual pod and it makes the colour on my gouramis and german rams very ellegant, almost a pearl shine on the blue scales versus flat blue with just the flourecents in there.

KTV, good joice on the bulbs. I generally find a mix of either a plantgrow stle like you bought and a dayglow or full spectrum bulbs makes all the difference in plants and even fish colouration. The unfortunate part about both plant grow type and full spectrum is that they are not always available in the T-12 and T-8 in the lengths you may want.

But then we always have our bulbs running the length of our tanks and not the width. Keep in mind width on any DIY projects. You may end up using more shorter tubes, but as long as you get the watts/gallon or kelvin output requirements, you'll be OK.

I prefer the T-8 due to running electrical cost and some of the new U- shaped bulbs are good. But I need to play with those myself (latter) a bit more.

Garhan

:ml:

KTV, good joice on the bulbs. I generally find a mix of either a plantgrow stle like you bought and a dayglow or full spectrum bulbs makes all the difference in plants and even fish colouration. The unfortunate part about both plant grow type and full spectrum is that they are not always available in the T-12 and T-8 in the lengths you may want.

But then we always have our bulbs running the length of our tanks and not the width. Keep in mind width on any DIY projects. You may end up using more shorter tubes, but as long as you get the watts/gallon or kelvin output requirements, you'll be OK.

I prefer the T-8 due to running electrical cost and some of the new U- shaped bulbs are good. But I need to play with those myself (latter) a bit more.

Garhan

:ml: