starting up a nano

fish_man

-The Eclips canopies. are the filter system on those ok for s/w(with out the crappy filter media that it comes with)

-how many hermits for a 10gall

-what are smaller fish that are colorful, easy to find and stay small? im not lookinf for dozens of fish just maybe 2-3 small ones

-what all would i need to start up?

what i have now

-Tank

-lights/filter

theres this marine sand at petland is it alright to use this? im sure its just sand but what ever it comes in a bag like the other rocks. do i need anything special for the sand?

Blennies and Gobies are a good small fish. Prob better off with gobies. I only know what I read in books, though, no actual experience.

Gobiosoma Multifasciatum only gets to be about an inch and a quarter, Valenciennea Strigata is cool, and only gets to 3 inches or so, and the popular Nemateleotris Decora, aka Purple Firefish only gets to 2-3 inches.

There's some small blennies, like Ecsenius Bicolor, should only get 2 and a quarter inches or so.

-Hideo

My top picks for a nano:

1. Orchid Dottyback (Pseudochromis freidmani)

This fish GLOWS purple. Awesome colors, very reasonable disposition and available captive bred at reasonable prices ($30-$40), you can't go wrong with this fish.

2. Clown Gobies ((Gobiodon okinawae, G. citrinis, etc)

You'll never have a hard time finding these fish in your tank. They're peaceful, like to sit right out in the open and you can keep them in pairs. It also helps that they're never ones to shy away from food. They're also usually <$15, which is great.

3. Antennae Goby (Stonogobiops nematode) and Wheeler's Prawn Goby (Amblyeleotris wheeleri)

I'm going to include these two fish together since they're rather similar in habits.

These are shrimp gobies, so if you're lucky enough to find yourself a small mantis shrimp, these is the easiest visible form of symbiosis that you can create in a nano. Both these fish are hardy, not particularly prone to hunger strikes or jump and both can be had for $15 or less. They also both sport great colors and patterns, always a plus when you're trying to pick from an extremely limited selection.

Close favorites that I didn't include were the firefish (Nemateleotris spp.) because they're prone to jumping; Swissgaurds (Liopropoma spp.) because they're super shy, super expensive and super rare; Blennies because they're aggressive; and other gobies because I doubt you're going to find other small ones that are reasonably priced (do a search on the Yasha and Greisinger's, mad money).

Hope that helps.