Looking to start up a Nano tank in the near future

Mighty Prawn

My wife and I are planning on starting up a small nano reef as our start in salt water.

We were thinking 5.5 gallons, or max 10 gallons. I figure this would be a good way to start off, without breaking the bank.

I am hoping to do a rectangular tall tank. 10w x 10l x 13h.

We were hoping to do mostly shrimp and critters, but would also like to have at most 1 or 2 fish.

I've been told before that I should do a bare bottom tank since I am just starting out. What are the downsides to having a sand substrate?

What kind of filtration is ideal for a small nano tank like this?

And is the expensive compact fluorescent lighting necessary for everything, or only specific kinds of corals and inverts?

I saw someone on the board selling a 5.5 gallon nano setup for like $800, I am assuming he's taking at least a 25% loss, and I'm not going to be able to convince my wife it's practical to spend over $1000 on a 5.5 gallon tank.

Should I just forget about salt for a while, or can it be done for way cheaper?

I don't want anything rare or fancy, the only thing I am hoping I can have are 1 or 2 sexy shrimp, and whatever critters hitch a ride, plus 1 or 2 small fish that would be happy in a nano tank.

Advice and suggestions please!

-Hideo

If you are looking to buy a nano tank... i think im gonna sell my 8 gallon bowfront. I can include the glasstops and PC fixture, ac mini, 2 powerheads and submersible heater.. rock and sand too if you want. Reason for selling is my tiny anenome swam into the powerhead, and it died, and I just wanna stick to my 90gallon from now on.

Lemme know

Ty

You should come in and have a chit chat with me sometime, haha.

That or whenever you decide to go play badminton, let me know.

I figured I'd just come in.

Badminton.,a skjfbhas;k, my friends ditched me for Badminton, now they play with their girlfriends, cuz their girlfriends are friends, too.

I'm trying to get a new group together though, I'll keep ya posted.

Might be interested in buying that tank, depending on how much it costs.

-Hideo