Powerheads

Raven

Ive a powerhead with a filter attacked to the bottom. Only problem is that i dont know if i should have the water flow on normal or revearse. Right now its on reverse. Also, how far down in the water can it go? is it suposed to go only so far with some parts above the surface? or is it ok with it completely sumerged?

Raven: >Ive a powerhead with a filter attacked to the bottom. Only problem is that i dont know if i should have the water flow on normal or revearse. Right now its on reverse. Also, how far down in the water can it go? is it suposed to go only so far with some parts above the surface? or is it ok with it completely sumerged?

A powerhead is 100% totally submeragable. They can be placed anywhere ina tank.

Run the pump on normal. This will suck the debre into the filter attachment.

Smokey

are you sure? on normal it blows water out the black spout, on revrse it seems like its getting sucked in... im not sure though.

I have mine on normal....the water is sucked up through the filter attachment and comes out the black spout on top. The debris and stuff gets filtered out on its way through the filter stuff and comes out clear of debris through the top.

My sponge filter works the same way...the water is drawn through the sponge which does the filtering and comes out at the top.

ok, ill switch it to normal when i get home from work. Maybe by then the water will have cleared up from me adding the sand. Which i kinda got to clean cause theres bits of old driftwood in it, lol. Then ill be able to stick in the decor and heater today. 11 days from the auction, and im not sure i can go anymore. stupid work -.- does it matter what kind of amionia you use for the fishless cycle? and which is faster? fishless eh?

Raven _ Reguarding what type of ammonia/ using ammonia to cycle your tank_-Check out this topic.

http://s6.invisionfree.com/AlbertaAquatica...p?showtopic=702

Reguarding your question>>on normal it blows water out the black spout, on revrse it seems like its getting sucked in... <<. You are correct. The black spout is the output nozzle for the pump. On top of the output nozzle you will see a small vertically pipe. This can be used to draw oxygen in and mixes with the output water flow. Usually a short lenght of air line, long enough to be above the water surface is sufficient. OR for more air/water mix the air line can be hooked up to an airpump.

The bottom of the pump is where water is drawn into the pump. this is where you attach a filter.

The REVERSE mode is usuful for undergravel filters; where a person wants to push water into an undergravel plates : AKA - REVERSE-FLOW. The idea is rather than pulling water and fish pooh down into the gravel; the pump will draw water from the tank [ usually clean water ], force it down the UG tubes, under the plate, up through the gravel. More oxygen can be pushed into the gravel and any debre is forced/suspended into the tanks water - to be drawn off by another filtering source.

There is also a volume-flow contol lever. This lever is used to control the actual volume of water the pump will "PUMP":..._....minimum to maximun. Be sure you have it adjusted correctly. Max. is the norm.

HTH

Smokey B)

What make/model of pump do you have [??].

Edited by Smokey

well ive switched it and it seems to be working better. But now im having trouble getting the water clean. The sand in the tank has dirftwood bits in it, from what i can tell, and im having trouble getting it clean. What can i do?

Raven_Small bits of suspended debre, should become collected in the filter on the power-head. give it some time.

Not aware of the make/model powerhead and quick filter attachment you have...different types of filtering media can be used.

A fine fishnet can be used to "collect" the driftwood paricles. Turn everything off/ net out the floating particles - as they float to the surface./ or vacum as they settle to the bottom of the tank.

Smokey

I got the bigger part that could be caought in the net clean up, sorta frustrating but i did the best that i could do. When i turned the powerhead back on the current picked up more dibirs and turned the filter from white to black in about 5 minutes. Could i just rise it out??