COMB AND CROWN TAIL Betta

Spinalcore

COMB AND CROWN TAIL BETTA

There has been some interesting breeding going on overseas for the past 5-10 years. The latest finnage of comb and crown are, I believe, being bred in Indonesia and Singapore (at least). The fin's rays extend out past the fin, causing a "comb" look. The crown has two rays which are closer together with the fin extending further between them. DDR has 4 rays to a section. Hard to describe, pic's do much better.

This little tidbit is from the Betta Splendens Board, posted by Joty Atmadjaja:

The creator or crowntail is an Indonesian breeder named Ahmad Yusuf, he called it "cupang serit" in Indonesian language. When Henry Yin showed this fish in one of the IBC shows, he named it CROWNTAIL.

• 6 years later...

I bought my first betta at Big Al's this week and all they had were crowntails! He's a real gem though, and happily lounging as we speak in his 2.5 gallon minibow!

I didn't realize how active and interactive they were, since I had only seen them in those tiny cups until now. I guess I just thought he would kind of float around, but on the contrary he is super active, and I swear he knows me already. Kind of like a dog!

Anyway, very interesting to hear the history of the crowntail. They are beautiful!!