what happening now?

Raven

you remember a\those plants i bought and started floating on the syrface of the water? Well now they have something like roots or runners growing from then and hair algea has bloomed in them. is it alright to let this happen? or are the plants really rotting?

Were you planning to just float them and not plant them in the substrate? If you leave them floating they will continue to do this.

Also I would manually remove the hair algae as much as you can... it can quickly become a BIG problem... is it the long thready green kind? That is easy enough to remove by winding it around a new toothbrush. Or is it more the short fuzzy kind? This type can be a sign of poor water quality, I would step up the w/c's if it's that kind.

I suspect that your lowlight situation is causing the algae to outcompete the plants for nutrients. Have you been able to find any lowlight plants yet?

No, but i plan on getting some from the auction this weekend i just need to get there first. I also hope in getting a new lid and lights there too but ill have to wait and see how much money i can take, cause i still have to get my fish. The algea sounds like abit of both, theres places were its a bit fuzzy, and alot of stringy green algea. The plants were in the gravel before, be they detatched from there root systems.... would this continue to happen if i tried to place them back with the gravel?

Hi Raven, I have been watching as you go along here. It some how seems to me that originally your mature leafs were falling off your plants and then the root rot. Are you fertilizing your plants at all. It almost sounds like you have a lack of Pottasium. Before your leaves fell off, was there any sign of pin holes or fading of the leaf at any point. Please give me some details on your tank, lighting-interval length, substrates (layers and how deep each layer is..., ferts-include brand, C02, temp, water type (R/O, tap, mixed and so on).

if you like please PM me or re post on this page..

Cheers,

Garhan :ml:

And the plants do very well for difficult to grow plants, glosso and newzelandiae. hahahaha, You should have also seen the water sprite that grew out of the rain barrel and flowered. It was killed at the last frost though. Next year I will have pictures of this setup outside in full bloom. i am also growing some Echinodorus tenellus in a ptt filled with aquarium substrate and it is under a grow light. It is also sending out a rhizome with a new sprout, now that is cool.

Cheers,

Garhan

post-36-1097870245

There was no spots or anything that i noticed on the plants. The only fertiliser the plants get is fish poop, lol. The tanks a 29 g, lights usually on 24-7 cause its down stairs and im not home all the time. The suBstrate is just gravel blue/green, about 2-3 inchs of it. Theres now co2 that i put in, and the water is tap, with added aqua plus and jungle aquarium salt. Need to know anything esle?

Just a suggestion, cut your lights back to 12 hours max, put on timer. (Home depot ($. plants dont do well in 24 hours of light. Apparently not enough pooh. It is very likely you lost your leaves from lack of Pottasium.

How much salt, do you always put salt in your tank ? And what temperature are you at in this tank. Most plants do not do well in high temperatures. Like 80 plus. Some do, but most dont. I keep my planted tanks (usually, some rare exceptions) around 69-74 degrees. That is if I'm interested in the plants, rather than the fish.

Garhan :ml:

ok then... not enough poop? Weaird i only do gravel vac once a month, lol. I add 1 teaspoon everywater change, which take about 5 g of water out. and ill cut back on the light. The temps around 78-82 f, i havent checked it in a while :S