New to saltwater

edmontonrx7

hey people im switchin my 100 gallon freshwater cichlid tank to saltwater. i have the live rock on order right now so thats not an issue. just wondering what i will need for a reef tank. i mean for lights, powerheads, protine skimmers. poop like that. i will have about 700 bux to spend on all of it. right now i have 2 40 watt lights and i know that wont be enough.

Depends on what you wanna keep a reef tank? or a fish only with live rock aka FOWLR if so the 40 watters might do it if ya wanna reef jump in with both feet and go metal halides aka MH depending on dimensions I would go with dual 250W MH myself you can keep softies, LPS and SPS under these

HTH

Are you going with a sump or not? Dont' skimp on the skimmer. Probably the most important piece of equipment whether going FOWLR or reef. Don't be talked into getting unnecessray stuff like a Calcium Reactor etc. Basically all you need are some powerheads, protein skimmer, and some good lights. If you don't plan on keeping SPS then you can go with the cheaper alternative of PC lights, because MH lights will run you more than what you are budgeting for a 100gal.

Forgot to mention, get enough live rock for your tank, 1 1/2 to 2 lbs per gallon. This is your primary bio filter.

Assuming your not going for anything too challenging coral wise (softies, easy lps)...

Dual 175w halides (250w like murray said if you like the really like the blue look, and youll end up upgrading eventually anyway), or maybe a 4 or 6 bulb T5 setup. Personally i hate PCs and only use VHO for actinic

Seios have great bang for the buck for powerheads

Skimmers...only thing i can really recommend that ive used personally is a HOB remora pro, if you dont have a sump. However, i have two, and one sorely out performs the other. Dont know if its manufacturing tolerances or what. If i had to do it again, id keep an eye out for a used deltec mc500 or mce600. As for in sump, im sure somebody can help. My current in sump and the one being built were custom jobs

hth, and i think i busted the bank

ya im going to do reef tank. corals and such. i have a bit more money then i thought to spend on all of this. im running a rena xp3 on the 100 gallon and i was told that would be fine for a salt tank. i have heard alot about the remora pro so i think ill pick that up possibly and as for lights i have enough room for 4 - t5's under my hood. i wouldnt mind metal halides but then i gotta cut my canopy to get them to fit im sure.

how much do those 250w halides cost in the stores. i dont want to go crazy but i dont wana cheap out of the lights.

If you have the time, look for used setups. If you must buy new, i get some of my equipment from J&L aquatics ( jlaquatics.com ). 2 x 250w with ballasts, sockets, and reflectors is about 300 bucks new.

If your going to use the rena, pull all the media out and just throw some live rock rubble in there. Every few weeks pull the canister apart, rinse it out, and give all the rubble a good swish in saltwater to get all the crud and detritus off it. i ran a canister at one time and couldnt believe all the crap that accumulates in there.

Got an idea of what kind of corals you want?

we arnt sure what type yet. i wanted to get it all set up first and then decide.

and for the filter maybe ill do that. it sounds like a good idea. do you have the direct link for the 2 X 250 w for 300 bux. im having trouble findding it.

If you have the time, look for used setups. If you must buy new, i get some of my equipment from J&L aquatics ( jlaquatics.com ). 2 x 250w with ballasts, sockets, and reflectors is about 300 bucks new.

If your going to use the rena, pull all the media out and just throw some live rock rubble in there. Every few weeks pull the canister apart, rinse it out, and give all the rubble a good swish in saltwater to get all the crud and detritus off it. i ran a canister at one time and couldnt believe all the crap that accumulates in there.

Got an idea of what kind of corals you want?