Angelfish with holes in fins and in side

Chopperman

Hi All, I did read the links you sent guppy, it did have good info and I have used some of the procedures. As for using the hydro vac, I do use it everytime i do a water change. Now I hope that Its not a bad thing to use it everytime or to spread the use out. I will be getting a nitrate test also Willfishguy to check that out to. Something that I forgot to mention, About 2 weeks ago I changed the gravel I had in the tank. Its now geosystem substrate. I did this because Its a planted tank and the plants seem to like the smaller substrate and grow better, I also use flourish. As for now the angel is still surviving in the hospital tank the holes in the fins are still there and the ones in the body dont look as bad.Thanks to everyone for the excellent knowledge that has been provided and as I see in the links guppy sent, this isnt an overnight fix and patience must be excercised. :)

Sounds like you're on the right track :) I hope your angel gets better soon.

I gravel vac every time I do a water change too, it's a good thing. It cleans up the mulm and detritus in the tank, as I'm sure you already know. The only time I would space it out (i.e. only gravel vac one half of the tank each time you change the water) is if you were doing, say 50% water changes weekly, and were noticing that you were causing a tiny little mini cycle each time from disrupting the good bacteria populations in your gravel bed. But that's just me.

Checking on the status of your angel!

My adult discus has just developed the same sort of sympton. No spots on the face though, only a large 'cigarette burn' wound just under the dorsal fin!

Edited by ronrca

Hi all, Well I woke up one morn and checked on him and he was very pale, almost white and noticed a part of his pectoral fin missing, being the olny fish in the tank I knew no one was nipping at him. Anyways to make a long story short he died later on in the day. Its too bad also because he was a big angel and kept everyone of his tank mates in line. But it seems my luck is dwindling I noticed my clowns in a different tank are showing signs of Ich which Im currently raising heat and salt treatments. I havent noticed any on my synodontis eupterus tho which is good. so hopefully the lifecycle will of the ich will deminish.

Thanks to all that posted, Ive taken this problem as a learning experience.