Medium to Large Community

Mighty Prawn

I've currently got a breeding pair of green severums, and a pair of leptobarbus hoevenii (mad barbs/maroon sharks, I can't find a "common" common name) and a royal panaque in there right now. The tank is 180 gallons with 2250gph of filtration, and decor is purely large, medium and small pieces of drift wood. I have a couple pieces of flat rock in there for egg laying, but will not likely add anything else. I might consider some large and hardy aquatic plants in the future, but not likely.

So, I am trying to decide on some tank mates. I am thinking about a pair of gold severums, and maybe a pair of apollo sharks. I considered Bala sharks but I don't like how they look when they are fully grown.

Fish that may grow too large for this tank are not out of the question, as long as they don't get too big for another year and a half.

I want to be sure to time it right, but any tank inhabitants that get too big will be moving to my indoor pond. This pond won't be completed for about another year and a half from now, and I have no alternative space for them (that is humane) while I wait for the pond to be finished. The pond is going to be massive, so not a concern about potential size. (well... no RTC's or anything gargantuan, the pond is going to be at most 3000 gallons, but closer to 2800)

I'm not interested in any cichlids other than severums for this tank, mainly I an interested in sharks or larger peaceful fish. I quite like Chalceus macrolepidotus (Pink-tailed Chalceus) but haven't seen any in stores before.

I really like the look of apollo sharks/leptobarbus hoevenii, and most catfish. I am not adverse to other large compatible fish. I'd love more than anything to raise some kind of bicher in there with these guys, but I'm sure Christian will tell me any moment that my fish will be its food, or it will theirs ;-)

Any compatible eels to be had?

I'm possibly hoping for something a little less common than other 180's I have seen. I know so many people with nice 180's, I want something different. I get my fill of beautiful cichlid tanks and large species tanks elsewhere ;-)

I plan on hitting up Riverfront and Golds weekly for the next few months in case something rare or interesting shows up I can snag, but would love to be on the lookout for something in particular.

Any help appreciated!

-Hideo

I've currently got a breeding pair of green severums, and a pair of leptobarbus hoevenii (mad barbs/maroon sharks, I can't find a "common" common name) and a royal panaque in there right now. The tank is 180 gallons with 2250gph of filtration, and decor is purely large, medium and small pieces of drift wood. I have a couple pieces of flat rock in there for egg laying, but will not likely add anything else. I might consider some large and hardy aquatic plants in the future, but not likely.

So, I am trying to decide on some tank mates. I am thinking about a pair of gold severums, and maybe a pair of apollo sharks. I considered Bala sharks but I don't like how they look when they are fully grown.

Fish that may grow too large for this tank are not out of the question, as long as they don't get too big for another year and a half.

I want to be sure to time it right, but any tank inhabitants that get too big will be moving to my indoor pond. This pond won't be completed for about another year and a half from now, and I have no alternative space for them (that is humane) while I wait for the pond to be finished. The pond is going to be massive, so not a concern about potential size. (well... no RTC's or anything gargantuan, the pond is going to be at most 3000 gallons, but closer to 2800)

I'm not interested in any cichlids other than severums for this tank, mainly I an interested in sharks or larger peaceful fish. I quite like Chalceus macrolepidotus (Pink-tailed Chalceus) but haven't seen any in stores before.

I really like the look of apollo sharks/leptobarbus hoevenii, and most catfish. I am not adverse to other large compatible fish. I'd love more than anything to raise some kind of bicher in there with these guys, but I'm sure Christian will tell me any moment that my fish will be its food, or it will theirs ;-)

Any compatible eels to be had?

I'm possibly hoping for something a little less common than other 180's I have seen. I know so many people with nice 180's, I want something different. I get my fill of beautiful cichlid tanks and large species tanks elsewhere ;-)

I plan on hitting up Riverfront and Golds weekly for the next few months in case something rare or interesting shows up I can snag, but would love to be on the lookout for something in particular.

Any help appreciated!

-Hideo

The Lfs that was here until 1990 would bring in available species upon request and had Pink Tailed Chalceus on a regular basis, are they not available anymore? It might be an idea to ask Riverfront or Golds if they can get what you want.