black discoloration

Goldfish Girl

hi

i noticed a dark black patch on the gill cover of my pearlscale the other day. i had been treating for ick so i assumed she had heater burn as she's never seen one before. ick is gone now so i took away the heaters a couple days ago. now on my largest ryunkin i am noticing black streaks in her tail and almost like a dusting/haze of black develpoing on her body. if anyone knows why this could be? i'll do a water change and see if that helps but has this happened to anyone? the only thing i can think of is i added two black banded sunfish to the tank a few weeks back. also some huge fathead minnows. i can't see how the other fish could have done this but maybe stressed them out too much? the sunfish are quite passive though and i can't see the goldfish being bothered with the minnows. they've been with zebra danios, which are even more active, for a long time now.

thank you!

What are your ammonia levels at? how long was the tank setup before adding fish?

The only time I had seen this before was when I used Goldfish to cycle a tank (I dont anymore so dont hijack this thread) It sounds alot like ammonia burn and your ammonia levels may be ok now and those black marks are them healing.

the tank was set up for at least a couple of months. i've had basically the same batch of goldfish for about 2 years now. i'll change the water though. that should help if it is ammonia. i'm thinking of adding some quick cure to the water. thats what i was using for the ick, but it says its good for many things. however i'm also aware that there is alot of fish medicien out there that is just crap and does nothing. finishing water change now but won't add quick cure yet.

I agree, it sounds like ammonia burns. Test your water now, and don't add any more meds to your tank if the only thing you're dealing with is ick, it will only exacerbate the problem.

Even if your water tests fine now, it's probably still ammonia burns, as they show up kinda like scars, AFTER the stress of poor water quality, when the fish is healing. If I read your post right, you recently increased the bioload in your tank by adding some more large fish? That definitely could have caused your tank to mini-cycle.

The worst thing you can do is start throwing random meds in there that are full of harsh chemicals, especially if you don't know what you're treating for. PLus, then the aforementioned random harsh meds will knock out your biofilter causing more water quality problems, and it's a vicious cycle... :)

I would

1) test your water

2) do a 30 to 50% water change

3) add a nice, dirty filter sponge or some gravel from a different, established tank (like you mentioned above) to ensure your biofilter is back on track :)