More New Plans

Slough Shark

I am troubled with making a very difficult decisions, the nature tank that I had posted about earlier may be turned into a biotope instead (the amazon biotope and puffer tank are all planned out) but I need some opinions.

Here are the two plans:

Commune (Nature Tank- 30 Gal):

2 (pair) Bolivian rams

3 Zebra Otocinclus

5 Takashi Amano Shrimp

5 Glass Cats

1 Siamese Algae Eater

1 Weather Loach

3 Betta Splendens (1 male, 2 females)

Or

Southeast Asian Blackwater Pool Biotope (30 Gal):

Weather Loach

5 Glass Catfish

5 Green Tiger Barbs

2 Dwarf Gourami (Male and Female)

Now I was seriously thinking of going with the Asian Biotope simply because the planted tank seemed a bit cramped and I didn't really want to lose any fish that are part of the plan. I do own a weather loach who is quite the character and I would really hate to part with him. It was a lamentable circumstance until I got the idea of making another biotope. Since I really like the idea of having an aquarium existing as natural as possible, I am leaning towards the biotope scenario.

Now I need some experienced opinions here, not just some goofballs (like me) that figure they know plenty about a fish just from research, experience is master here. Will the tiger barbs nip like crazy, or is it a plausible plan? Is that too few/too many glass cats? Will the gourami be too aggressive?

Opinions and thoughts people!!! Quick too, it's almost setup time, the has been painted!!!! And I :bow: to my stepmom for doing it for me.

Oh and BTW, the exact area I was hoping for was Thailand cause I researched and found that all these species hail from there. Except for the Dwarf Gourami, I found that they are from india, anyone know of a Common Gourami that is from thailand/indonesia area?

Kryptopterus bicirrhis, glass cats, do best in larger groups, so 5-6 is pretty minimal, but be aware that they are eventually 6" fish (and I would not trust them with little amano shrimp)... so a 30 with five 6" glass cats, a 12" weather loach, five 2" barbs, and a pair of 2"-3" gouamis may be a bit cramped....any chance of swapping to a 40 breeder tank?

Well, ok, heres the deal, the tank doesn't look small enough to be only 30 Gal, my 29 Gal is quite a bit shorter than it, and I find it hard to believe that the difference is only 1 Gal.

Here are the measurements, cause although I do good in math, I don't remember the formula:

Height= 20.5"

Width= 24" or 2'

Depth= 12" or 1'

Theres the mes, and I hope someone knows how to calculate the volume.

Thanks Toirtis

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! :cry:

Well, since I hate being pessimistic, what can I do? The silver dollars are still small and are in my "20", I would really hate to be getting rid of them, both the aquariums will be filtered with AquaClear 70s (one of them maybe with a Whisper 60) so filtering will be no issue at all. I haven't a clue what to do about the Asian Biotope, the amazonian biotope will definitely be in the larger of the two tanks.

Gotta plan and research, maybe all over again. I'm at a loss here guys, I really need your help now.

Edited by Slough Shark

Crappy news to find out your tanks aren't the sizes you thought they were...

If you want to be sure yourself on all your tanks, check out this calculator:

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/information/calculate.htm

Hope you get it all figured out!

Hmmmm, well I certainly don't have the space for any larger tanks, at least I don't think I do. How much wider are they, height is not an issue. Man this really does suck!!! I want to focus on what I can do with what I have, the time is over for getting new tanks. Please, could I get some advice on what to do with the tanks I have?

I would like to adhere to the plans I have already:

For the Amazonian Biotope (25 Gal):

- Should I downsize the number of hatchets? Replace them with tetras of some kind?

- I know about five is basically the minimum number for cories if you want to see them as lively as possible and thriving

For The Asian Biotope (20 Gal):

-I think I'll ditch the tiger barbs and I'll just go with the Glass Cats and add a Few Kuhlis with my Weather Loach

Any suggestions?

I'll display the whole list inn the next post.

Commune (Nature Tank- 30 Gal):

2 (pair) Bolivian rams

3 Zebra Otocinclus

5 Takashi Amano Shrimp

5 Glass Cats

1 Siamese Algae Eater

1 Weather Loach

3 Betta Splendens (1 male, 2 females)

Or

Southeast Asian Blackwater Pool Biotope (30 Gal):

1 Weather Loach

5 Glass Catfish

5 Green Tiger Barbs

2 Dwarf Gourami (Male and Female)

3 Ornate Sand Loaches (If Purchasable)

Sis’s Tank (10Gal):

1 Male Dwarf Gourami

4 Black Neon Tetras

3 Takashi Amano Shrimp

Amazonian Whitewater Biotope (29 Gal):

2 Silver Dollars

6 Marthae Silver Hatchet

4 Bronze Corydoras

2 Albino Corydoras

10 Gallon Puffer Tank:

3 Malabar Puffers

4 Takashi Amano Shrimps

Any Edits?

I have finally decided to get rid of the silver dollars, I knew they would get too big for my tanks, and still, I bought them. I will trade the silvers, my Goldfish and Koi, and my Common Pleco in for glass cats, silver hatchets, Kuhlis and cories.

Could I replace the 2 silvers for a pair of bolivian rams? Or would that be a little too much? I would like to stick with the hatchets, and definitely the cories.

Alright, I'm gonna replan it all :D

Except for the asian biotope, any objections?

Edited by Slough Shark

So, if possible:

Southeast Asian Blackwater Pool Biotope (20 Gal):

1 Weather Loach

5 Glass Catfish

3 Kuhli Loaches

3 Ornate Sand Loaches (If Purchasable (would replace the kuhlis))

Amazonian Biotope (25 Gal):

2 Bolivian Rams

6 Marble Hatchets or 5 Darter Tetras

4 Bronze Corydoras

2 Albino Corydoras

: ) I wish I had more experience with stocking levels so I could help you out!

When I was looking at getting a larger tank I discovered that once you get to about 35g (I think it was) they're all the same length (4ft) up to 55g. The depth of the tank is what changes to accommodate the different gallons.

You've made a lot of changes to your plans, but what I would recommend if you're still thinking about going a bit bigger, measure the space you have available and then take a tape measure with you to the LFS and measure the tanks (out of box) that you are interested in to find out if they'll fit. : )

Excellent, thanks guys, the stand that I had my tank on would have buckled if I let the tank rest upon it for a few more weeks, so it's good we moved it when we did. I'll be going to "Paradise Pets" or something like that in St. Albert to get some new gravel, probably my stock for the Asian Biotope, and maybe get rid of the fish I have now. Sunny days to come!!!! :D

Thanks again for all your help, I'll be posting pics very soon, gotta hone my Aquatic Photography skills!!!! -roll-

Here are the measurements, cause although I do good in math, I don't remember the formula:

Height= 20.5"

Width= 24" or 2'

Depth= 12" or 1'

this is a 25g tank by the formula l*w*h/231 which gives you us gal. if you want litres then multiply the result by 3.8 which is 97 litres.

I hope this helps. However this tank only has the same footprint as a 15g so be cautious on over stocking by the gallon rather than the surface area.

Thanks alot guys, the tank is just about ready for the Biotope setup, I'm just waiting on getting a stand for the other aquarium (the 25) so that I can fill her up, let it sit for about a week I think, and then put my fish in. Once the fish are in the other aquarium, I can start setting up the layout of the Asian Biotope! :D

I'm starting a Journal in this section of the Board.