Dammit, lost another one

Stacey

Well, got home from work to find a another dead African Dwarf Frog......... all frogs were alive this morning. Those of you that have read my previous may remember that I lost one about two weeks ago, the first one died within hours of me bringing it home. Both frogs appeared healthy, died for no apparent reason.

The worst thing is that was my 9 year old's frog. (the first one that died) She thinks this one is the replacement, also "her" frog, which we got the next day. (She's just crushed.) I'M not entirely sure......... I know it wasn't our original frog, (bought at the end of December) cuz he's the biggest, and still alive. It is one of the two bought last week.

To re-cap tank parameters:

-tank is 10 gallons

-first frog and betta bought end of december

-cycled with media/filter from other tank

-2 more ADf's added 2 weeks ago, first frog died that night, replaced next day

-tank contains driftwood, java fern and a plastic plant

-all frogs and fish fed mostly frozen bloodworms, and brine shrimp

-tank temp is 27 C

-water changed once a week, 50 %

-ACTUAL TEST RESULTS were fine, last I checked. Soon as I post this, I will test again and do a water change........

I hope someone can help me figure out why they died. No sign of redness on the legs, no apparent sores or any visual symptoms. All limbs/appendaged attached.

I'll go do the tests and WC now, will post results........

Poor little froggies.

Edited to add: test results are - 0ppm for ammonia and nitrite, nitrate 10 ppm, pH 8.0, as always.

Edited by Stacey

It is very difficult to be certain, but age of the frogs may have been a factor, as could some asymptomatic viral infection that they may have been carrying. I also find that frogs fed exclusively or nearly so on bloodworms often have issues. your water temp is also a bit high...try lowering it by a degree or two.

My next plan of attack when all else fails to find a solution, would be to buy your next froggies from another source. It could be that the store is selling their livestock to soon after they receive them from shipment. I would inquire how long the frogs have been settled down before purchasing - atleast a week or two should be safe. Then once you get your new guys home take some time settleing them in to your tank environment by floating the bag for 10 min to equalize the temp and then slowly start adding your tank water to the bag in quarter cups every 5 min or so until you have about doubled the amount of water in the bag. Then release the frog into your tank. If you want to be extra causious, then try adding an anti-bacterial remedy to your tank for about a week after they have been added. In my 4 years experience settling down these guys in quarenteen, I have found Melifix to be a safe preventitive for bacterial infections which these little guys seem to be most prone to after the stresses of shipment. I haven't had any adverse reactions to using this herbal medication. Other then this I can't think of anything else that might be the problem without viewing the situation personally. I will only note on the careful side that maybe cut down on the size of the water changes that you are doing. Try no larger than 30% in a day.

Thanks guys, I've lowered the temp a bit, and have been trying to feed a greater variety........ I never see the "frog and tadpole bites" get eaten, but they are disappearing. I will try offering those every 2 days, and alternating between bloodworms, brine shrimp and beefheart the other days. Someone shed some skin in there today..... first time I've seen that. Both frogs that are left seem healthy and active. Seeing definate growth on the bigger frog. It's good to know Melafix can be used with these frogs, I wasn't sure.

Hopefully I won't have any more fatalities any time soon.

Lost the last of the new arrivals today, now tank contains only original frog, and betta. Again no obvious symptoms. Now that I've seen 3 of these guys pass on, it seems they all do a sort of death swim in the last 12 hours or so of their lives........ where their swimming around, at the top alot -but with varying degrees of body control.

Dammit, another frog funeral.

:cry: I guess I'll never know for sure what killed them....... I'm hoping whatever it was isn't contageous........ the last frog is bigger (the original one) so hopefully he's a little stronger. I think I now know what to watch for........... but even if I do see my last frog swimming funny what do you do for a sick frog with no visible symptoms?

Stacey

• 2 weeks later...

:cry: Sad Update,

The last frog died wednesday night, the original one. Again no visible signs of illness. This time when I noticed the "death swim", I added one teaspoon of aquarium salt. He seemed to regain his eqilibirum, and was crawling slowly upon the substrate when I went to bed. In the morning he was dead. :cry:

I did read on someone's caresheet on the internet that these guys are sensitive to metal in their water......... my tank lid has metal refelectors for the lights, so this may have been a possible cause.

Anyway I think I've given up on these frogs for now.