Livebearers

Terrie Lee

I love livebearers, but I know so little.

I was just wondering how long to leave my fry in the little breeder net. I would rather not have all of them eaten by the adults. How big do they have to get to have a fighting chance?

I don't actually have any right now, but have recently purchased some fat female swordtails so I should have some soon.

In my 20 gallon tank there are

1 Mato Grosso Pleco

3 corycats

4 Swortail females

1 swortail male (I call him "Lucky")

There is not a lot of what I would call "cover" for the little guys. Just some plastic plants and gravel.

Also: Would my 20watt halogen light be enough to keep some java moss alive?

I was just wondering how long to leave my fry in the little breeder net. I would rather not have all of them eaten by the adults. How big do they have to get to have a fighting chance?

They are okay for a couple of weeks in a breeder net.

Too big to fit in other fishes mouths

I don't actually have any right now, but have recently purchased some fat female swordtails so I should have some soon.

Swords will definately eat their own young

There is not a lot of what I would call "cover" for the little guys. Just some plastic plants and gravel.

Get some Java moss, Hornwort, Cabomba. All of these provide some cover for fry and give them a better chance of survival.

Would my 20watt halogen light be enough to keep some java moss alive?

Would my 20watt halogen light be enough to keep some java moss alive?

The above plants will do fine with it.

Thank you for the advice. When I looked up how long to leave them in the net people said two to three days. That did not seem long enough to me.

I picked up some java moss today, hopefully that will provide some cover for the little guys.