3, 55s needing some advice on fish lists...

malawi_luver

Thanx RD for all of your generous help with me i love your labs very pure... and very elegant where did you get them? i know the big als over here has a very beautiful male lab in one of there show tanks very very nice...

I think i will place the rocks with one rock in the middle and a bunch of rocks on the sides for the labs... what you think... like 2 open areas... 1 rock in the middle to block it a little and a bunch of rocks on each side...

Almost like your tank :ph43r: but little less rock 1 in the middle and more on the sides maybe a little less rock then you have now...

2248a.jpg

Thanks, I bought my labs from a number of sources. Moorii are open water fish, and I think that in a 75 you need to design the tank more for the moorii, than the labs.

In the diagram below X = 1 large rock (or whatever type of decor you choose) approx 8-12" high. Finding rocks that are large in the base, and then narrow near the top (ie a cone shape) may not be easy to find at this time of year, but they would work best with this type of set up. This type of a tank design would be ideal for larger haps such as moorii. They don't need caves, but the females will need to have escape routes from the male. Having just one large rock structure in the middle won't offer the females much in the way of comfort, and the labs will utilize these line of sight barriers as well. Obviously in a larger tank you could provide numerous rock structures that would accommodate both species. The larger the footprint of the tank, the more room you have to work with.

...................X

.......................................................X

.......X.......................X.........

..................X.............................X

Edited by RD.

Are you planning on putting under gravel jets in your tank?

This appears to be one of Marc's diagrams for this type of set up.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ug_jets.php

I personally don't like the looks of them in a tank, but the rock layout is along the right idea.

Edited by RD.