Water Changes Made Easy

Blue Ram

I'd like to set up some kind of system to make water changes on two tanks a bit easier since they require lots of water changes! Two 50 gal tanks with discus. The two tanks are in separate upstairs bedrooms. I thought I could put a trash can or barrel (50 gal) into the closet in one of the bedrooms. What would you suggest that is available locally? Use a regular aquarium heater for heating. What can I use for circulation and stabilizing the ph? What can I use to get the water from the barrel to the tanks?? I can use my python for removing water from the tanks, just need to know how to get new water into the tanks?

Question for discus keepers - if the ph of my tap water is very close to the ph in the tank, can I use the python for draining & filling? I have not tried this yet as I'm being very careful with the water changes.

personally i take out the water and add it back in my discus tanks with the python with no side affects to my discus.

i just take what i need.. I lower the ph with discus buffer and i mix it in a large margirine container with prime and mix well and add it slowly over the period of putting the water in.

Unlike i would just throw the prime in with the water all at once with all my other tanks.

i just make sure everything is equal temp.

i do to many water changes to use buckets and when i did use buckets i couldnt wait to get the python.

you should be fine with using the python.

its soooooooooooo much easier. HTH

If your going to use a resevoir for clean water like the garbage can, you can buy a cheap sump pump to fill your tank from the can, but be cautious if you use it with your python to drain a tank as most sump pumps will suck that water out pretty fast.

I use my DIY python to refill my tanks, i just get the tap temp to match the tank temp, then i use 1 5g pail with enough treatment for the water going back in, and top it off with water.

Then i add the 5g water/treatment solution first, then turn on the python and add tap water.

Just make sure to add the all the treatment to the tank before you add the tapwater when using your python.

Also if your refilling your tanks with a python, make sure you turn your filters off (if you dont already) just to ensure no chlorine goes into your media before the neutralizer has a chance to work.

Edited by Danzig