Gold barbs doing strange

CalgaryFan

I was doing my waterchange today and I saw two of my gold barbs doing something strange. They were constantly side by side, sometimes upside down flipping over each other, shaking, etc..Anyone know what they are doing? I managed to get a video clip of them, but my camera is useless so if I fix it again, I will upload it..in the meantime anyone?

It sounds like a spawning ritual.

Definately mating. If you look carefully you may catch sight of falling eggs (tiny crystal balls). They do this then go their own way then come back together again in a while, repeatedly. Unfortunately the eggs will get eaten by somebody. Sue

That would be cool if it turned out that's what they were doing. I am skeptical however, I was researching them on the internet and it states that males have a green tinge to their stomach, and all 3 of them have a green tinge. If my camera ever works again, I will upload the video. Thanks for the comments.

EDIT: HERE is the video, got the camera to work finally, to me it looks like they are just hudling together, not much happening:

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/Bro...nt=CLIP0008.flv

Edited by CalgaryFan

I watched my rosy barbs do exactly the same thing . I now have babies. All 3 do look male so maybe they are just "practicing". You need to find them some gorlfriends lol :D Sue

Edited by Qattarra

• 9 months later...
haha practising, I won't have any of that lol. Well it's good to know that they know what they are doing ha.

Hi Calgary fan.

I had good luck with glass marbles as a substrate when breeding barbs. The eggs fall through the spaces and the marbles are too heavy for the barbs to move. Once you have observed them actually dropping eggs and the male fertilizes them you can remove the parents. Sexing is difficult with barbs I usually put 8 or so in a tank and watch for a while, you will usually be able to determine which is the pair.

GBP