unkown plauge

Jo3l

i have been running a 30 gal for the past month with no problems. only stocked with a couple juvinile yellow labs, and some pictus cats and a pleco, but in the past week or so i have lost 2 of my 3 pictus catz, and my third looks pretty sick, his color is extremly pale, and i am starting to notice on one of my cichlids there is a rash of some kind. it looks similar to peeling skin? i am baffled to what this is that is picking off my fish and wondering if anyone has any suggestions. :cry:

yes i just did a full test. and my nitrate levels were WACK.

i was running a 3.3+! i feel so bad for my fish

so i imeditaly did i ~40% water change and put in some Aqua plus, should i be okay now?

I would keep a close eye on it, and do partial water changes, about 20% a day.

You must of had an amonia spike.

Some reasons are: cleaning the filter to well (just give the sponges a quick rinse in a container of aquarium water. If you clean them overly, or with tap water, high temperature water, or totally replace them you will loose all your good bacteria)

Over feeding

insufficient water changes ( on most tanks

about 20% water change weekly is a good practice.

I would keep a close eye on it, and do partial water changes, about 20% a day.

For a good 4-5 days.

( on most tanks about 20% water change weekly is a good practice.

...and I will argue a minimum of 30% once weekly. Frequent water-changes and filter-maintenance will keep those nitrates down and your fish happy. You may also want to review and possibly upgrade your filter....what are you running?