Guppies with Split tail fins

Blue Ram

I purchased a couple of expensive male guppies on the weekend and put them in a quarantine tank with some new tetras. They now have split tail fins. What causes this if you rule out fin nipping by other fish?? Will the fins regenerate? Is there anything I can do to? I've never kept guppies before.

First what are your water parimeters? Are you saying that the split finned males are with the tetras? If they are then the tetras may have a part in the fin tears. Big finned guppies a nice target for a fin nipping tetra. What kind of tetras? Is it fin rot?, any red streaks in the tail fin?, or does it look like the fin disssolved? Other option is that the fins split. How old are the guppies? - are they small or are they large males?What kind of tails do the males have? Fancy guppies can have many tail fin types. Do your guppies have the big triangle shaped tails or, are they more pointed(sword), double sword type? I have had guppies that have split their fins, as they grew, as their tail fins grow it spreads like a fan. The splits in mine healed on their own, with good water condititons and no stress they filled in. I also used Melefix on some but good guppy care is usually all that is needed unless it is more serious finrot. Sorry for all the questions but I have raised guppies for 3 years, so I have seen just about every tail type and problem that arises with them. I even had one male with such a large tail when young that it had trouble swimming, it grew up and became a large male. Hoping you all the best with your guppies. If you have questions don't hesitate to ask. :D