Started reworking my SA office tank

mitsukuni

After being inspired by our friend Sam Chicklets, I decided I'd try sand as a substrate. In all the tanks I've had over the years, I'd never done sand....

This tank was a recent setup after I scored a nice deal on a 55 on Calgary Used. We simply transferred the fish and filter from the 33 and added a second HOB (AC200). This tank came with a PILE of large rocks, so we basically just spread them across the bottom, drained the 33 into the 55, topped it up, and called it good. That was a few weeks ago. We figured it was time to start doing something with it today:

My ultimate goal for this tank will be to house some of the shyer geophagines, some angels, and some festivums, along with a complement of catfish, and maybe hatchets as dithers. But until I come up with a 90 for the basement to put my Severum and his buddies in, this tank will have to house him and his juvie green terror friend, along with a large pleco, a clown pekoltia, and maybe some others for the short term... In any event I wanted to put sand in.

First trip to Totem: waffled over traction sand versus playsand, and came home with the former. After washing 1/3 of the bag for an hour and still running cloudy, and not really liking the grain size or the color, I put my sidewalk sand outside for future winter use, returned to Totem and got the kids playsand. Brought it home, rinsed it thoroughly (took about 20 min's) and then added it to the tank. Followed up with a large partial W/C, and I'm now sitting next to it as I type this, watching the the Sev poke his nose around in it.

Next step will probably be some large pieces of driftwood (currently only has one smallish piece in there). After it clears better, I'll post a pic of the progress. :thumbs:

Phil

You will love the sand substrate, i used Pool filter sand and it hardly had to be rinsed even. Its been in my tank now for i think close to two months and wow, what a difference in cleaning and everything. Plus the fish love it.

• 5 weeks later...

Thought I would update this topic a little...

Severum is now moved into his 77g, along with a large pleco... we now have 3 angels, 3 festivums, the silly pekoltia (he still hangs out in his truck), wifey bought a royal pleco, a g.surinamensis, a g.tapajos, and I just moved over my two juvie discus. I know, I know, wierd (some might say "wrong") combination, but its working great! Everyone's happy, healthy, and they're loving the sandy bottom. Some will have to be moved eventually, but for now its a great tank to watch when I should be doing work in here (like now)... here's one side of the tank...

gallery_1606_86_75739.jpg