Females Holding

dcookcan

Yes this is the right forum. I currently have a gymnogeophagus balzani female holding eggs (mouthbrooder). This is her first go at it, so I don't expect fry the first time round. However, she has been holding for a few days already. The eggs were deposited in typical South American cichlid fashion inside a 4" flower pot. I noticed the displays and chasing going on but did not see eggs until Saturday Mar. 17. The female already had her mouth full and there were probably another 25 eggs left in the pot. Some lucky fish got a healthy snack.

I also have a geophagus altifrons female holding (another mouthbrooder). This is their second attempt so I am a little more hopeful that I will see fry this time around. The pair are approximately 5" and 6". Their eggs were also deposited on Saturday Mar. 17 on the top of a 6" flower pot. The female did not pick up the eggs until Monday Mar. 19.

In another tank, I have a pair of geophagus iporagensis. They are guarding their little PVC pipe again. Their first attempt at spawning was also not successful (big surprise). Maybe this time around; we'll see.

If you can't tell already, I really am into the eartheaters right now. But I do have an established pair of Jack Dempseys that currently have fry. It took no less than four attempts for them to get to the free swimming fry stage, but I think they have it figured out now. I have scooped out most of the fry and put them into a ten gallon tank. The parents are left with about 25 fry to protect and raise.

That's all for now. Obviously I will keep you posted on progress. Pictures may be in order as well, but I will be in BC until Friday, then in Lloyd on Saturday. Maybe by Sunday I will have time to post some pic's.

I didn't move the post, but maybe I can shed some light. The post is titled "females holding", and you're talking about the breeding progress of your pair. This, now, is the correct forum for your post, as the general idea or topic is breeding.

If you have a specific question about this type of cichlid, as opposed to breeding, it would be appropriate to put into the cichlid forum.

Hope that helps. :smokey: