DIY Hatchery

Garhan

Here I us a photo of the submersible hatchery. Probably my favorite for discus, rams, angels, cats, and others. Or for any fry that need isolation from parents.

This is a 1 gallon clear plastic juice jug from CT at $6.95, with a 1" hole drilled near the bottom that has paint filter mesh covering the hole. (siliconed on outside of container)

The sponge filter is attached via a suction cup. There is a flat 2" side to the juice container. As the filter flows filtered water from the parent tank into the hatchery the water in the hatchery discharges out the 1 " hole. This area needs to be cleaned occasionally as munge gatheres here.

W/C is done in the parent tank and not the hatchery.

The hatchery is lowered until the water level is 1" below its rim. You may have to silicone a tile 4" to the bottom of the hatchery or run sand in it as ballast. You will likely also have to place this in a corner on top of a shelf that is adjusted to the desired height. I use different sized cellar jars as shelf's.

post-29-1104116607

Either way __ great idea! lol.... :)

I was looking at the pic and the grey cells kicked in: I like the idea of the sponge filter to cycle water into the uit. _____But::::: rotate the container 90 degrees, cut a large opening in one side, which would now becomes the top. The removeable Lid would become the end cap and It already has an opening for the water to exit. A couple of suctin cups [ ones used on some heater holders] could be attached to the container, through holes in the container side and hold the whole unit in place.

EH EH :D :smokey: :w00t:

Smokey

B)

I went looking for such a contaniner, see Garhan's pic above . I thought I would build one. A perfect unit to have on hand!!.

Guess what, I could not find one. :angry: Well, not one which had one flat side, large enough to hold lots of fry, removable screw lid, handle is not necessary, can be retro-fitted/modified, non-toxic, ... The looks one gets from store personal; when one talks about how many fry one can fit into a juice continer.. :smokey: :wub:

Smokey

B)