How do I know if it's dead?

Stacey

One of my daughter's trap door snails is possibly dead. I've read that when they pass on there are 2 ways to tell. The first is that they stink. The second is that their trap doors fall off. One snail smells pretty funky, but it's trap door is still attached. The possibly dead one hasn't moved in at least a day, and it's trap door is on but sunken into it's shell somewhat. What I'm finding confusing is that yesterday both adult snails smelled mildly funky, but I saw one move today, so that one isn't dead. However, the possibly dead one smells much worse today.

To make matters worse, my daughter is out of town for spring break, and doesn't know about her pets........ if it's dead do I phone her to tell her, tell her when she gets home, or buy her a replacement and say nothing???

New house rule: No more pets that suffer questionable deaths! I've had this problem with ADF's. When it's dead I want to know!

OH yes if it smells like that it is dead. You will know

the one that moved is probably the one inside the shell real deep.

What kind of snails?

You might be able to replace it. But if she really cares she will notice.

The trap door rule isn't particularly accurate. I've seen snails survive without a trap door (only if the tank is free of predators), and many die with the door intact. Smell is pretty key. It doesn't take them long to develop a funky stench.

If they're brigs, it should be too difficult to find a replacement... depending on how attached your daughter is to these particular snails. She might not care to find out they've been replaced while she was gone. Better to talk it over with her, I think. I've got some magenta and dark purple brigs at adult size, if you're interested (picked up a few too many for breeding purposes!). The babies are still too small to sell.

There's a few local stores that sell Canas, too, if that was the species... I know Riverfront often has them, and it seems to me that Colby brought some nice ones in recently.

If they're something rarer, like A. spixi or something, Melody's the one to call.

Thanks for the quick replies....... The snails are viviparus malleatus, or Japanese Trap Door snails.

So it CAN be dead with the trap door still attached........... DAMN I was afraid of that.

Fishbrain - no, it's the dead(?) one thats sucked the trap door in farther than I've seen any of them do before..........

Osprey - thanks for the offer, but these guys are brown, not purple, she'd definately notice THAT replacement.......

As for whether or not I'll replace "Gerry" I just don't know......... There is a good possibility she wouldn't notice, she is attached to them, BUT, like alot of 9 year olds, they are HER pets - I just get to take care of them!

I hope "Gary" (the other adult snail, who smelled mildly funky yesterday, but is still alive today) isn't on his way out.

I'd say be honest about the death, but do it when she gets home so you can talk with her about it, comfort her etc.

My 5 year old had his class fish (that I keep for them) die after having it for 4 weeks. He was quite upset. We got a replacement, and now every day he reports to me "Lightning is doing great mom... he he was swimming around and he isn't even DEAD!" LOL

I think kids learn to cope with death through pets. Just be prepared to answer lots of tough questions if this is her first experience with it. My son had to touch the fish etc... he really didn't get that it couldn't come back to life at first. It took awhile. (I wouldn't recommend keeping a dead snail around for this purpose... the smell will be awful).

Good luck with it all.

I have decided to tell her, when I thought about it, I decided I just couldn't pretent the new one was Gerry........ it's hard though because it's NOT her first experience with death, I KNOW she'll be upset, I'll wait till she comes home though. Another surprise was waiting for me when I got home, it seems Gerry begat another little gift upon Gary before he left us...... the new little one's name will likely be Harry or maybe Mary. (the first 2 babies are Larry and Terry)

This answers some questions I had about these guys in another thread........ I did have a breeding pair, they breed a lot more prolificly than the internet had led me to believe, and gestation seems to be about a week. (Unless of course these guys can store sperm, in which case I don't know if any of this is true)

One last thing, the growth of this little family has convinced me to buy them larger quarters....... where can I buy a ten gallon tank for a good price? I don't want a kit, just need the tank and lid.

And thanks everyone about the tip about Pisces, I got these guys at Riverfront, but I think after I pick up the new tank I'll get 1 or 2 more adults.

Edited by Stacey