Algae

humpty

I have been having some major troubles with some staghorn algae lately. I cant seem to find any good info out there about what to do to stop this algae from growing or what imbalances cause it. I have a 33g planted tank. I have a 30" corallife dual strip with a toal of 36w. I have been battling this algae for a few months now. I have trim plants and all that but it comes back. I do weekly 50% water changes. And recently i have added pressurized CO2 and a dry ferts schedule to the tank. I was hoping the CO2 would finally defeat this algae, and when i first hooked it up it kill some of the algae and seemed to keep it at bay. But recently I've noticed it seems to be comin back a little. I run about 30ppm of CO2.

Can someone please help me out here?

Well I used to have major algae problems (which I'm revisiting in my newly set up planted tank) of all types, but once I started a regular dosing schedule and had a lot of plants in the tank the algae was totally gone. So I recommend keeping with the CO2 injection and dosing ferts, when you see the algae remove it, and give it some time. Also if algae eaters are an option that might be useful too. My otos ate the algae I think but my amanos seemed to enjoy cleaning up stray blood worms more than eating algae.

I had the staghorn problems a while back ... I eventualy ripped out all the infected plants and started all over... I made sure that there was enough light and more plants then I originally had, I also started co2 and fertilizer... since then I have had no problems with that kind of algae at all.

Well eventually the higher plants will be able to outcompete the algae, and that's when the algae will be gone. Getting more plants might help. But manual removal is a good idea too, especially if it's growing on leaves. Otherwise with all that light and nutrients in the water, algae is going to want to grow. But as I said once the higher plants get going you won't have algae problems anymore.

Do you mean taller plants? I have quite a few plants in my tank, about 9 species and 3 of them that are right to the top that have to be trimmed regularly. It is my sagataria subulata and my java ferns that get the staghorn the worst.

Do you mean taller plants? I have quite a few plants in my tank, about 9 species and 3 of them that are right to the top that have to be trimmed regularly. It is my sagataria subulata and my java ferns that get the staghorn the worst.

No a higher life form.