Digital SLRs

Qattarra

I'm getting a new camera. I've narrowed it down to these two. I would love your opinion and esp. your insight if you've used these. Thank you. Sue

CanonTM EOS D-Rebel XTi EF-S Digital Camera w/18-55 Lens

SONYTM Digital SLR Camera with 18-70mm Digital Zoom Lens

Go with the Canon IMO, though I've not used either of those Cameras, it's been my experience that Canons are very reliable and last a long time. I have used Sony, Olympus and Fuji Cameras, the Canon I have now is the best I've ever owned.

I guess you'll need to wait on the real Pro opinions to make your concrete choice, but that's my $0.02 :smokey:

BTW I do Wildlife Photography, so I suppose your Genre of Photography might have an impact on the Camera you choose.. Good Luck!!

Taylor

I was looking into DSLR's around Christmas time, but decided to stick with my digital point and shoot for a little while longer. After extensive research during that time I recommend (if you want to spend a little more) you go for the Nikon D80. I'm a Canon fan and own a Rebel (film camera), but I don't feel comfortable about spending the money for the DSLR version. Sony has just started into the DSLR world, but from the reviews I've read it appears that their lens are pretty good. Anyway, after researching, looking at and holding many DSLR's (feeling comfortable with your camera is a big factor, IMO) ... I think Nikon is the way to go. However if you're set on either of the other two ... go Canon (reliable cameras and the EOS system provides a lot of lens options.

Cheers

I'm going through the airmiles purchase route. These are the 2 out of three available. The Sony one caught my eye as it's one of the Sony "improved upon a Konica Minolta "systems But on the other hand the cannon seems reliable, but the sony comes with the zoom lens kit......see I need more to help me chose lol. My focus will be from fish shots to garden and macro. As for fish shots a HUGE asset would be getting clear stills of moving fish lol. I do appreciate the imput everyone, Thanks.

Edited by Qattarra

• 2 weeks later...

I'd stick to Canon or Nikon (I own Nikon myself).

They are the largest brands and have the largest selection of equipment and USED equipment (so you can save money and get used stuff).

Between the two, the quality is the same IMO, the ergonomics becomes the deciding point. I like the Nikon camera setups which is why I bought it.

You can't go wrong with either brand. I would stay away from Sony SLRs because of poor noise performance at ISO800 (www.dpreview.com).

Regards,

Andrew

Edited by Golfnut