Fertilizer Drip System

Garhan

I had a difficult time getting my hands on a IV drip system with 1000 ml bags that can be refilled. Just go an ask for them a Medical Facilities, Supply Stores, Pharmacies, Vetrenarians (you think they would understand at least). Explain all you want about how you would like to build a fertilizer drip system for a planted tank. The reply is usually either ..."really".... or "I haven't heard that one before"....LOL.

What do I look like a Junky...........??????????????

Anyways after a lengthy seach my brother told me he had some he was going to throw out...what.

There was confusion on his part as they were not a true IV Drip System in his mind. Because they were used to dispense food into a patient via a stomach tube and they are refillable, Oh joy...1000ml bags with a funnel for a lid...dang.

The drip had to be modified so the line could reach the trickle filter with out having 4' of line coiled up. So cut and splice down to 2 ' and include a valve and stopper to slow down the drip. After playing with it for some time I finally got it down to 5ml drip per 4 hours. 30 ml per 24 hours. Roughly...STILL TO MUCH ??????? Lights on........calculate a diluted volume based on 1000ml bag.

So if my pottasium solution needs to be in the tank at 5ml per 3 days per 50 gallons=15ml/150 gal , 2 to 3 times per week, then roughly 30-45 ml per 7 days (back up to 50ml/wk +-)=200 ml per month (close enough). For easy of measurment round this up to 200 ml per month. 200ml into the 1000ml bag and top up the bag with 800 ml of R/O water. 33.3 ml per day drip in the 1000ml bag. CLOSE ENOUGH FOR THE PEOPLE I TRAVEL WITH. Just average everything up for now. If over dosing then next bag will be diluted appropriately until fine tuned. Keep the drip constant . I pre measured this with water into a test tube and timed it to reach the 5 ml mark. A usueable amount to do calculations without to much fine tuning or unachievable volumes and numbers per day.

post-36-1104118129

Edited by Garhan

Great article, Garhan.

Keep fiddling with it. :thumbs:

I remember picking up brand new I.V. bags w/tubes and flow regulator at a second hand shop in Edmonton. :o

I have to laugh.. :smokey: ; when I was working with Lexan - I needed small syringes to administer the liquid "glue". I went to a local Pharmacy to pick some up; simply..eh! Nope...third degree looks, etc. :tongue:

I ended up at G. & E. Pharmacy and picked them up, with disposialbe fine needles, for 50 cents.

I mentioned what I was doing and they said NO Problem. :D

Smokey

Edited by Smokey

Shelly - send one to Garhan; full of adrenalin. :lol: .. Sounds like he may need it, just to keep up with posting/questions on all his projects..... :smokey: :P ..j/K!

Thanks for keep'in A.A members up-to-date. :wub:

Smokey

B)