Bettas with Cardinal Tetras??

Stacey

I've got 2 10 gallon tanks. See signature below for contents. I would like to separate the bettas one per tank. They have both engaged in tail biting behavior since I put them together in the divided 10 gal. Their tails are growing back now, but I want them to stay that way. The bettas are currently experiencing no problems with their snail roomates, but does any one know how they would do with Cardinal Tetras? I'm thinking I'd like to put one betta into the 10 gal. with the tetras and see how he does......... if it doesn't work out I'm thinking I'll switch him back to the other 10 gal. and try the second betta with the tetras........ ideally, if both bettas were amendable, I'd like to have 2 small community tanks going, each containing a betta. Is 1 betta and 6 tetras, plus some snails overstocked? (snail population will be equalized between the 2 tanks) Does anyone have any other suggestions as to which other small fish can live with a betta in a 10 gallon? I read so many conflicting opinions.

Thanks.

The problem with conflicting opinions is that they are based on experience and everyone's experience is different.

Bettas can range from semi-calm to extremely aggressive. I had a betta that would attack snails until they all died. My betta now only notices things if they swim past him.

I think it comes down to listening to other's experience and weighing what you are willing to lose.

If you don't mind losing a tetra or two I would say go for it.

Perhaps getting bigger tetras would help? They may look less "bite sized".

Many people have told me that bettas are less aggressive to fiah that look less like another betta.

It's not just the betta that can be the problem. I once had a group of white clouds with a betta that was a poor (or early forerunner) imitation of a crowntail with all sorts of little ends on his fins and the white clouds kept nipping at them as they thought they were some type of live food.

Well, it appears to have worked........ betta and cardinals ignoring each other. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on them to ensure it stays that way. I'd like to add some cardinals to the other tank, but I think I'll wait a bit and see how they all do.

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest another type of tetras or maybe another small fish species to go in the other 10 Gal? It's always interesting to have some variety. May I suggest harlequin rasboras? I have a small school with my 20 Gal Mekong Biotope and my Betta gets along great with them.

I find the amount of fish you put in with the better will distribute the aggression better. So if you have one Guppy and a Betta, you will likely have some problems (just an example because the betta would also see the Guppy as another betta because of the fancy tail). But if you throw a school of smaller fish in with the Betta, the Betta may even become timid from all of the attention!

Good Luck with your decision!

Well after trying a few livestock configurations, it looks like both bettas can co-exist with fish and snails. I think what I need to do next is figure out how to tell which gender my Ramshorns are and separate them......... there is a lot of egg-laying going on, and I don't have the tank space to raise all those snails! I'm still considering which small fish to add to the other tank, variety is good, but I love the cardinals colour! (Maybe I'll get neons, that'd be different :tongue: ) However, it looks like whatever I decide, neither betta is an overly aggressive loner, so it should be all good.