Puffers

PTTM

I would like to introduce a puffer into a community Tank, I am currently have a red tail shark, an ID shark, a pleco, and a five neon tetras. The tank is 50 gal. I am looking at either a figure 8, amazon or dawrf puffer. Is there any chance it will work out?

Thank you

Figure 8 is low brackish fish...so no.

SA puffer (amazon) will be fine in there, however, they can chase and nip your other fish. Depends on their personality. Also, SA puffs requires manual dentistry...their beaks seems to grow the fastest and needs to be trimmed every few months. Snails and hard-shelled fish will slow the growth a bit...I feed my NLS and it seems to help a little...but i can see that the beaks are growing a bit every month.

Dwarf puffers are tiny and notorious fin nippers. They grow to a max of one inch...fun little guys. Just make sure you have lots of cover and break their line of sight to reduce aggression. Males, in my experience are a bit more aggressive.

Js

I have a dwarf puffer in a 33g with emperors, swordtails and ottos and all is well. Only thing we ever see is the big emperor chasing the puffer, but we made sure there's lots of hidey spots in the tank and the puffer ducks into one and it's all over. I see them out happily together as well.

I can't imagine not having a puffer again... addictive little critters!

Each puff will have their own personality. I have a pair of dwarves with my EBJD, platies, and apistos. They get along really well...except for the platies...they are slower so they get nipped by the dwarves. They follow each other around EXCEPT during feeding where all puff is for itself...LOL.

Js