Calibrating Heater?

powerviolence

Hey everyone. I recently got my first tank and along with it I picked up a Jager heater by Eheim, but I am having an issue with it. I have it currently set at about 86 degrees (I am doing a fishless cycle) however I have a thermometer hanging in the water as well and it is currently reading about 78 degrees. The heater light rarely comes on, and when it does its not for very long. Is the heater dial somehow off and I have to calibrate it? I for some reason seem to remember reading somewhere that you might have to that with a new heater, although that seems a little ridiculous if you pay like 50 bucks for a heater it should work correctly out of the box. I was hesitant after reading a lot of mixed reviews about the Jager online, but decided to try it anyways. Looks like I made the wrong decision.

Is your thermometer an internal or an external? sometimes the stick on thermometers read low as the air temperature affects the reading. Alsop do you have water circulation over the heater? If it is in a dead current then it will only heat the immediate area and the rest of the tank can be cooler.

Is your thermometer an internal or an external? sometimes the stick on thermometers read low as the air temperature affects the reading. Alsop do you have water circulation over the heater? If it is in a dead current then it will only heat the immediate area and the rest of the tank can be cooler.

It is in an internal thermometer. But it looks like I figured out. I guess you have to pop the little knob on the top and turn it to the temperature that matches your current water temperature and then push the knob back in. I guess that calibrates the heater properly and then you just turn your temperature dial to the desired temperature. I wish the little instruction book had been a little more detailed on that fact, but now it seems to be working just fine. I guess I spoke too soon about Jager sucking!