Water Python

I am considering purchasing one of these but I have several concerns.

I realize that a person would put the de-chlorinator in the tank that you are filling with water... does the de-chlorinator work fast enough to get rid of the clorine as the water is filling the tank as to not hurt the fish? After all 50% water changes is a lot of water and chlorine in a hurry..

How are you able to regulate the water temperature?

When a person is removing water from the tank... does it use a lot of water to create the suction to pull out the dirty water?

I've been using a python for years and couldn't go without... it is best attached to a sink a level below the tanks... Example: I have two tanks on the main floor, and so as soon as the siphon starts, I turn off the water. The laundry sink attached to the python is in the basement, so I simply turn on the water (in pull mode on the faucet pump), go up and put the gravel cleaner down in the tank, then go back down and turn off the water. Then I go back up and vacuum my gravel with the siphon giving enough pull to adequately rid the substrate of gunk.

To refill, I fill my "dosing pump" (square 2l water conainer with a hole on the side) with water and a capful of Prime, and then set it on one side to let the dechlor pour out in a tiny stream . I set the temp to the tank temp at the faucet, and then refill the tank. I do it with the water pressure low for the refill, and the gravel cleaner tied to the center bar of the tank with an elastic so the water falls onto the surface, theoretically aerating a little more. Been using this method on my mainfloor discus tank with good results so far.

The downstairs tanks are on the same level as the laundry sink, but the higher tanks can still siphon when I put the shorter hose through a hook in a beam. The lower tanks need water pulling on them all the time, but they are the smaller tanks, so it doesn't use much water.

Phil

I do 40% water changes in my Gal and just add the Prime as I am adding the water. Notice that I use PRIME and do not have any problem. I have a single mix tap so no problem with the temperature. Yes you have to have the water running to keep the flow going unless you drain is lower. I just drop a pump in mine and pump it out, it's faster.

Never had a problem with adding the Dechlorinator during the refill process.

I dont use tap water to pull tank water out. I use the ole mouth to hose trick and get it started then just let it do its thing.

Ussuall water the plants and outside garden with the old tank water

All my tanks are in my basement so I guess I will have to use the water running to vacume the tank with the Python if I buy it.

Thanks for the good ideas!

Actually just adding the water into the tanks with this method, would be a great help and just continueing on vacuming my tanks into 20 gallon rubbermaid tanks would be ok as well.

Would a garden hose be ok for this use... anyone know?

All my tanks are in my basement so I guess I will have to use the water running to vacume the tank with the Python if I buy it.

Thanks for the good ideas!

Actually just adding the water into the tanks with this method, would be a great help and just continueing on vacuming my tanks into 20 gallon rubbermaid tanks would be ok as well.

Would a garden hose be ok for this use... anyone know?

I've had my python for <gulp> 20 years or so. At one point I had to change hoses, and have been using a non-toxic garden hose for the long end ever since.

I use a regular vaccum and a very long clear rubber tubing I bought by the foot at Princess auto (50'). The end of the vaccum hose is connected to a shutoff valve which is connected to the 50' hose. My upstairs tanks get drained outside in the flowerbeds. Before I remove the vac from a tank I shut the valve so I can go to the next tank without restarting the syphon process. The back room tanks get drained to the bathtub, same method though.

To refill, I bought a coil garden hose and a brass addapter for the kitchen sink (50' hose again). I connect the hose with a hand sprayer so I get the "rain" output. I adjust the temp at the sink then go to my tanks. I only use Prime to pretreat for the full volume of water first, give it a swirl. I put the hand sprayer end over the side of the tank and spray over the surface. Then move it to the next tank until they are all refilled. Do not use anything less then Prime, I used Aquaplus and a couple others, they did not work immidiately and I killed the bacterials and got huge nitrite spikes afterwards. ONLY Prime works for this.

This method allows me to do 16 tanks in one afternoon. A 90, a 72, a 65 and the rest 25 gallon tanks. Draining the larger tanks gives you plenty of time to do glass algea cleaning and other tidy ups. The refill is faster but still gives you time to prep the next tank, reaarrange rocks, ornaments etc. I wouldn't go back to hawling buckets. :D Sue

The one thing we should add is never and i repeat never turn your back on the hose or tank when filling. I have let my attention wander a few time s only to spend hours cleaning up water. I usually have my wife help me so i don't forget.. The last time i over flowed it i was on my lap top reading somthing in here.