Cleaning My Filter - Rena Filstar XP2

MarkJ

Hay

Just wondering, I have a Rena Filstar XP2 on a 33 gal, I usually run the top micro filter and the 4 bottom sponge filters under the tap every week or two, and replace the medium ( 1 cup of AMMO-CARB in a home made bag ) once a month. Haven't done anything to the ceramic rings.

I'm interested in other peoples routine when cleaning their filters.

Thx

MarkJ

• 10 months later...
Hay

Just wondering, I have a Rena Filstar XP2 on a 33 gal, I usually run the top micro filter and the 4 bottom sponge filters under the tap every week or two, and replace the medium ( 1 cup of AMMO-CARB in a home made bag ) once a month. Haven't done anything to the ceramic rings.

I'm interested in other peoples routine when cleaning their filters.

Thx

MarkJ

HEY MarkJ - I have had a 37 gal marine tank for 3 years and use the Rena filter. I had some ups and downs early on with algae and trying to keep an anenome but for the past 2 years it has been well balanced and seems to be under control. I clean the tank once every to 2 to 3 weeks. I change about 30% of the water and always clean the filter. I usually change the top micro filter and rinse the sponges under tap water, however, once I am done rinsing the sponges under tap water I immerse them in the discarded salt water before I put them back in the filter. One thing I don't do is rinse or clean the ceramic rings. I have two percula clowns, 1 yellow tang, 1 flame angel, 1 lawn mower blenny, three algae eating hermit crabs, 6 turbo snails and 1 hermit crab. Good luck with your tank, not saying I am doing it right but it works for me.

makes sense

I've had a tank for a while but haven't had good luck keeping fish, I'm trying to breed a pair of Pseudocrenilabros Philander and will take all the advice I can get.

Thx

MarkJ

I suspect a good reason for this is your filter cleaning method. Probably the only thing that has saved you is that you have not touched the ceramic rings. Unless your tank is heavily stocked and you are not doing weekly water changes, there should not be any need to rinse your media that often. Just my 2cents worth.