amphibian possibility?

Glassyeye

Hello all :smokey: i currently have a 30 gallon tall tank with a broken bottom :( :cry: however rather than scrapping the tank i was thinking of the possibility of siliconeing a piece of shilacked plywood into the bottom and perhaps makeing a sort of frog habitarium. if it is plausible to do this i was thinking tree frogs of some kind (cheap as im not made of money -roll- ) so could someone maybe do me a huge favour and give me some advice?

Thank you all in advance for your wonderful help ^_^

It probably would be better to silicone a piece of glass to the bottom--the shellac would lift off the wood over time because off the moisture

How bad is the bottom broken? laminating glass over it or replacing it would the best way to do it.

So it is spider webbed? I would get a piece of glass to fit the inside of the whole bottom. Scrape the silicone out around the seems so the new piece sits flat and seal it in with silicone. This way you have a new bottom sitting on top of the old one and the cracks won't run and start leaking.

Here's a thought if you are planning on putting in dirt. You could cut nylon screen to fit the bottom,cover entire bottom with a thin layer of silicone and put in the screen or if the crack is not to big you could patch it that way

Yes glass is the way to go. But if you go that route you could probably replace the whole bottom and have it fish ready if you change your mind in the future----I think Nick can tell you the procedure for replacing the entire bottom it's not that big of a expense and fairly simple.You already have to spring for silicone and glass it wouldn't be much more to get a piece that fits the entire bottom

It would depend on how well the bottom frame is attached to the tank, as to whether you would be able to replace the piece with out a considerable amount of work. If you fit a piece to the inside dimensions of the tank it will be water worthy any way. I have done this with tanks before as replacing the bottom panel on a smaller tank can be a disaster. I had a tank that the frame was really well attached and when I finaly got the frame off I had to replace one side and an end as well. I've also had tanks that the frame practicaly fell off. Normaly I will just put a second bottom on top of the cracked one unless the original is realy smashed just because it is easier and you don't see it.

Hope this helps

Edited by Sam Chicklets