Tank Upgrade Suggestions

Jacen

I currently have a 25 gallon tank and I just arranged to upgrade it to a 60 gallon bowfront aquarium. I have never upgraded a tank before and I am wondering how it should be done.

1. Should I cycle the tank first with completely new water or should I just take all the water out of the current tank and put transfer it into the new tank and then add new water. This would be just under half of the total volume of water in the new tank.

Please suggest if this is a bad course of action or not.

2. If I am able to move the water from the old tank to the new one and move the fish into it at the same time, how long should I wait before getting more fish to add to the tank?

Thanks

Is everything going into the new tank? Filter, gravel , plants, ornaments etc.? If so just switch everything over, including water, this will of course include all bacterias. By topping up with fresh treated water it'll act like a big water change.

If you are not transfering everything, IMO cycle the new tank.

Keep in mind that only about 10% of the beneficial bacts. are in the water colum , the rest are mainly in the filter and then the substrate.Sue

Edited by Qattarra

I would say put the new filter (and keep the old one on too) on the old tank for a couple of weeks before setting up the new tank. This will prime the filter and make things go even more smoothly when you transfer everything over to the new tank.

If you are going to transfer all the old water and substrate + use the old filter in combination with the new one I would put the fish in right away .I've done it many times never had a problem.I would wait a couple weeks before removing the old filter and adding new fish and don't forget to moniter the water and do water changes if nitrite or ammonia get a little up.