Solenoid killer

werner

Is it just me or do other people's solenoids wear out? They seem to last me about 2.5- 3 years. I use them on my pH controller (CO2 system) so they're switching on/off many times a day. Eventually, they start to make a buzzing sound and have trouble switching. Is this just normal wear of moving parts?

Once upon a time I saw an article about cleaning/lubricating solenoids, but can't find it now. Anybody have a link?

I would suggest that you check with Rex Grigg here:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/

Or alternatively find the Clippard site and see what they have to say regarding maintenance of solenoids. I would appreciate your sharing any maintenance requirements that you discover.

Vic

• 3 weeks later...
Here's a thread I found on APC: JBJ Regulator/Solenoid making noise

Mine's the Aquamedic version, but it should be basically the same thing. I'll give this a try today and see what happens. I was going to replace it anyway, so not a big deal if I destroy it :)

If you are slightly handy, or know someone who is I would go to Skeans Engineering (They have branches in Calgary and Edmonton). They carry a line called MAC valves.

We have been using them for compressed air applications where I work for 10+ years and have never had one fail yet. (even when the air dryer quit and we had water running through them.) The 120v models come with pigtails and you can either solder on a power cord or connect it to a plug, as needed.