egg produced fry questions

Guppygirl

:D My cories layed eggs again, and they all hatched. So now the question to all you fish egg laying owners- how long does an egg yolk generally last for the fry? How do you tell if it is gone? After this point are they free swimming? When should I start feeding tiny meals? I am asking all these questions because my first batch of fry hatched but I tried to feed them too soon and it contaminated the water, causing a spike in ammonia and nitrite that killed them all. Second batch of eggs fungused and this third batch hatched nicely and I would like them to survive more then a week. Thanks for any advice. :)

:D My cories layed eggs again, and they all hatched. So now the question to all you fish egg laying owners- how long does an egg yolk generally last for the fry? How do you tell if it is gone? After this point are they free swimming? When should I start feeding tiny meals? I am asking all these questions because my first batch of fry hatched but I tried to feed them too soon and it contaminated the water, causing a spike in ammonia and nitrite that killed them all. Second batch of eggs fungused and this third batch hatched nicely and I would like them to survive more then a week. Thanks for any advice. :)

The yoke depends on the spiecies of fish ... generaly a few days...

You mentioned contamination with your water because of feeding your fry... you need to change about 25% of your water daily to take care of that problem.. If you are scared that you are going to suck up your fry... use an airstone at the end of a quater inch tubing to syphone your water out... it is a bit slower but it will not suck up your fry.

Good luck...

PS what kind of corries do you have?