Plant in a Pot

Cap'n

I would like to have a med to large plant with broad leaves in my Tanganyikan tank but do not want to go through the trouble of adding the proper substrate, additives, etc.

Would it be possible to use a well camoflauged pot with the necessary medium(s)?

Do you have any recomendations for species of plant?

I've seen people use pots for their plants and they did great! Not sure what type of plant, but they used a bit of potting soil, some Laterite (Sp), and then some small sized gravel on top, and he said it grew like I wouldn't believe.

Im sure someone here has a bit more info however

Just place a marble over the hole in a clay pot and use potting soil (make sure it's sterile and has no additives). Cover the soil with gravel and hope your fish don't decide it's the perfect place to start digging. If they do insist on digging, then place some slate or other rocks on top of the gravel. I'm actually about to try it myself (a good friend of mine used to always do it b/c it made it much easier to remove plants to catch fish). Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Kyle

Hey a clay terracota pot works fine. I have placed landscape cloth on the inside bottom of the pot and then layed in 2 or 3 substrate layers. Bottom layer peat pellets, then florite and then the last layer is gravel. Depending on the plant you would need to get the appropriate pot. For swords and Osiris, Aponogeton, and so on Use a 6-8" pot. The outside of the pot can be disguised with gravel. Spread silicone layer all around the outside and rim of the pot and then roll it in a gravel. This works very well. Or you can even stack pieces of shale around the outside, but glue the pot to a large slate tile for the base first and then stack the shale up the outside of the pot. I.e. 6-8 " pot use a 8-10" square tile. Silicone the pieces in place using the tile as a supported base..

Garhan

I was planning on using a 4" clay pot as it will be easier to hide than a 6". If it is necessary I will use the larger size. I have lots of each on hand.

My tank is already decorated with shale so I will also be hiding the pot with leaning pieces of the rockwork; doubt if I will need to silicone anything to the pot, but it may come to that.

If all I need is regular potting soil than I'm good to go. But this layered approach sounds like it is designed for underwater plants. What exactly is florite? and where would I get it? Peat pellets I'm assuming at a gardening supply house, same for the florite?

Will I need to add any special additives to the tank? I really don't like the idea of adding something that is designed for the good health of something other than the fish.

What kind of plants would be a good candidate? All I have ever grown so far are jungle val, java fern and java moss. I keep hearing about anubias nana and african swords, how about them?

Doubt if the fish will dig in the pot, all my tanganyikans only dig where they are nesting, usually in front of a shell.

Florite is in part like laterite. It is a baked clay that holds iron content. You can buy that flourite at Canadian Tire Green House section. It is called a n "Aquatic Potting Soil ". Peat Moss and non fertilized potting soils are to be used only. No ferts in either. As far as adding ferts, if you want healthy plants you will need to use some ferts. Seachem 'Comprehensive Supplement is a good general tonic. Just follow instructions. Because you are also raising hard waterfish, dont waste your money on Iron Supplements.

These water parameters are not ideal plant requirements but you should have some limited success. I certainly would not go out and purchase very expensive plants without researching some info on the plants you intend to put into your tank. Hard water and plants dont mix really well.Plants like annubias are to be planted on rocks or wood and not into the substrate.

Cabomba and Cardamine and most Cryptocoryne will work for you. Do some reasearch on the Tropica site at

http://www.tropica.dk

Garhan