new to me, old 45 gallon

Chopperman

I just picked up a 45 gallon tank. It was very neglected for the better part of a year. last water change i heard from the owners cousin was november and that was only because she needed to move the tank because the owner no longer lived there to take care of these guys. when i broke the tank down it was filthy, almost copper color. Im amazed they were all alive. they were fed occasionally but probably wents many days without food. the filter was disgusting. I have the setup now and Im cleaning the tank so i can set it up. so far 2 cichlids have died since the move. theres one left Im not sure of the breed but they are white with black on the dorsal and pectoral fins. I think the one remaining is male and 2 females died. theres also a 7 inch sailfin pleco and an 8 inch syno eupterus, the syno is as white as a ghost.I currently have them in the buckets I used to do water changes on my other tanks until the 45 is setup. I have dosed the buckets with pima fix,but theres no filtration or anything. Theres plenty of air getting in there and I change 50% of the water every day and just to get them used to clean water, when i put them in the bucket I used 50 % old water. Does anyone have any suggestions or should I just keep keeping on with what im doing? I would put them in with my tanks but im afraid of disease in my tanks which are very well maintained.

Edited by Chopperman

I don't really have any suggestions, other than to maybe add a little Prime to their buckets to detoxify any ammonia. How long have they been in buckets? It sounds like your doing all you can......... Good luck and I hope the rest of them make it!

Im adding aged water with prime. I have been putting in Melafix also as well as daily 50% changes. They have been in there now for 4 days, featherfin seems to be getting color back, cichlid looks like hes doing ok. until he gets all his color back I wont be able to tell his species. pleco seems to be alright to. I just got the 45 gallon cleaned out and set up with seeded filter media and a few ornaments from my other tanks that have been running for 1.5 years so once the temperature is up and a little more time cycling they will go back to their much cleaner and maintained home.

My rescue last year was a texas cichlid. Same situation, completely neglected tank, only water top ups no changes, and lights on 24 hours a day for 3 years. I cleaned the tank and set it up right away with a used filter. She recovered quickly and was doing very well. Unfortunately the damage was done. Her swimbladder was messed up. Even after 3 months she still couldn't keep herself righted. Otherwise healthy and very responsive to me, I felt bad for her constant struggle, thought that this was no life for a fish, I ended up euthinizing her :(.

As soon as you can get them into the tank, IMO is best. Keep a close watch on the cycle to control it's highs , sounds like they have an awesome second chance with you. Kudos.

I re-introduced the fish into their cleaner, more livable space last night. no more cheesy ornaments with all the paint and urethane coming off and chinsy painted blue and white gravel...no offense but I like natural substrate and ornaments like bogwood and mopani, they have more room and clean water, they seem to be doing good and the venestus my sister nursed back to health are doing great, thanx fishnut. they've just started eating again...must be a shock to their system after not being fed for most likely 5-10 days at a time.

Edited by Chopperman