Rena xp2

duff

Is It me or is the equipment with the xp2's outflow seem really cheap... The out flow regulater has a lil hole in the top and water comes out when you turn it...

I covered it with my finger and it shuts off.... anyone run one of these guys? and done any upgrades?

Ideas etc

I had an XP2 a while back and as soon as I opened it I went directly to Home Depot and made a spray bar, too... same thing I have done with every canister, ever. Honestly I cannot even recall what the Rena part looks like, that was how little attention I paid it.

Use the stock XP hose to get all the way up to the tank, then just jam the 1/2" pipe into the end of the vinyl hose in the tank, with whatever elbows you need to make it work for you. I would maybe cut a small (6" or so) chunk of the XP hose off and take it with you to the store, so that you can get just the right fit.

Spare suction cups from old heaters work awesome for holding on to everything once it's in the tank. Plan your holes in the pipe carefully as well. Too many that are too large or too close together will cause some uneven flow issues. Mark it out and drill nicely. If you notice a "whistling" sound once it's running, ream out a couple of the holes just a tad bigger. This is somethign I have noticed on Fluval's spray bar and it's SO annoying - but SO easy to fix. Oh ya.. that is an option, too... go to any LFS and pick up a Fluval spray bar kit... comes with everything you need to convert your Rena. Check out the skimmer from either AquaClear or Fluval (exactly the same product) as well... nice combo that makes a kick-@$$ set up.

A DIY spray bar can be anywhere from free to $10, the Fluval kit is about $17 or something. The skimmer can't be done DIY as nicely as the store bought ones, and is under $20 as well.

On one of my tanks I need the spray bar in across the front of the tank because my rock background went all the way to the top on the back. I ran the pipe just under the tank lip around the tank. Drilled holes in the lip and fastened the pipe with electrical Tye's. Worked great