Mystery fish

JoeM

Hello everyone.

I have been keeping fish off and on for almost 40 years. I have bread angel fish and sold them to pet shops in Calgary. I have had, and prefer large community tanks. I have successfully bread several types of both egg layers and live bearers. I have never had a marine tank, but would like to one day. Currently I have a very large planting pot on my back deck with goldfish, snails and water plants that acts as a miniature pond while at the same time acts as a pleasant water feature on the deck. The fish seem to like it. They keep getting bigger. In winter, I take them into the house. I hope to make a permanent pond one day that would be deep enough to winter the fish in. If anyone is interested in the set up I'd be happy to discuss it. It's very simple.

Enough intro. Here's the main reason I'm writing. My next door neighbour has a pond in his back yard. About four to six weeks ago he bought some lily pads that were imported from China. He noticed recently that there seemed to be fish in the pond. I scooped a couple out, and took the pictures that are attached. The water in the pond is about 60 deg-F. The fish look like some type of Raspora, but the water seems too cold for them. They do not look like White Clouds. My tropical fish book is seriously out of date. The fish, about 30 in number, are likely still growing and are about 1-2cm (1/2-3/4in.) long. They have very little colour. There appears to be a dark spot at the base of each lobe of the tail fin (like a ":" at the base of the tail). When the sun shines on them just right, they exhibit a coppery hue along the sides of the body. I have attached a few pics of them. I apologize for the quality. I will get better pictures when they mature some. The packaging for the lilies does not say anything more specific than China.

Thanks to any who can help.

Cheers,

Joe Minten

post-2740-1187389402_thumb.jpg

post-2740-1187389423_thumb.jpg

post-2740-1187389579_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the welcome Slough Shark.

It seems I will have to get better pics. I may wait a few more days, pick the largest two or three, and hope for good colour. I will be disappointed if they are fathead minnows. I'm hoping for something exotic.

Cheers,

Joe

Hello Guppygirl.

I've never seen goldfish or koi fry. I'll look for some pics on the net. Thanks. The fry may still be too small to be positively identified. Better pics would help. I'll try for better shots this week.

Cheers,

Joe