mouthbrooding bettas

Qattarra

Well I appreciate the vote of confidence, but the pair came in together from a customer who found them to be too agressive. They are clearly different sexes but then what would I know. - Luke

More then likely they were two male juv's hense the aggressivness... they were sparing for their territory as they were coming of age... which is normal... pug's are community fish which you can put them with up to 2 females, as I have read, peacefully... so I would venture that the other one is male as well.

The fact of the matter is that Sloughshark bought one half of the pair that came in; the male is still sitting in the tank. About two months ago we had 60 Betta pugnax; this is where these two originated. These fish are not juveniles, they are nearly full size. You can clearly compare the betta that Sloughshark bought with the pictures Black Mumba posted in the other thread to determine the gender of the fish. My only goal in posting was to let you know that the other half of the pair is still hanging out with some Pelvicachromis taeniatus.

And even though I work at Big Als, you can still believe me and trust that I might know something.

Sorry Slough Shark, that is truely sad... I am still trying to find a source for wild's if your still interested...

LukeS, I am not an expert on Betta's but they are a passion of mine, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two sexes unless I had an absolute pair comparible... and not saying that you don't know anything about them I am certain you do, but normally betta's come into stores as male only, and we certainly appreciate your assistance. Slough thought he bought the only one left at the store, and being said that he didn't see the other one, nor did any of us, to compare if it was male or female. Wild betta's are fairly new to the hobby, not alot of information is out there, wild's are becoming more and more interesting to hobbist, with more and more betta breeds being discovered annually.

It would be really helpful to us if you do get some more in, we would certainly appreciate you letting us know so we can rush in and get them... if at all possible let us know if there is a breeding pair avail... I know of 4 people today looking for betta wilds.

If you felt your information was ignored it wasn't .... but we are all just learning about them... we appreciate you knowledge and assistance...

Thank u...