40 gallon cleaning crew

tikka223

I have two 40 gallon tanks and would like opinions on how many bottom feeders/cleaners I should have in them. At the moment I have one Albino BNP and one Sailfin pleco in the tank with barbs. In the tank with Angels,Bolivian Rams, and Gouramis I have a Golden Nugget pleco and a Albino Highfin Pleco. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks Shane

Technically you dont' need any bottom feeders so the number you add to a tank is up to you.

It would be helpful if you listed the number and kind of fish you have in each tank. That way we can give you an idea on stocking numbers.

Are you just asking about what kind of bottomdwellers would work becuase you like them or because you think you need a clean up crew? Your already pretty stocked with "bottomdwellers"(the plecos)

I just got a fan/bamboo/wood shrimp and it has 2 fans on its front legs and it filters the water and cleans up any extra stuff on the bottom of the tank it's very cool. Angels can't eat them either because they're so big. Toirtos may be able to get you some for $7 each.

Technically you dont' need any bottom feeders so the number you add to a tank is up to you.

It would be helpful if you listed the number and kind of fish you have in each tank. That way we can give you an idea on stocking numbers.

Are you just asking about what kind of bottomdwellers would work becuase you like them or because you think you need a clean up crew? Your already pretty stocked with "bottomdwellers"(the plecos)

Thanks, I've heard stories that you should have at least 6 bottomfeeders in tanks this size. Both tanks are very clean and I think if I added more bottomfeeders they may fight for territory. No longer peaceful. This is why I ask my questions here, the answers are from those who have fish not the ones selling the fish. Shane

You dont' need to add bottomdwellers to a tank. I personally dont' get the whole" they keep the bottom clean" becuase you shouldnt' be feeding enough to have food left on the bottom and if you do get bottomfeeders you have to feed more so enough does fall to the bottom for them. more fish+more food doesn't equal a cleaner tank. So I dont' agree that every tank needs a bottom cleaner just for the sake of cleaning the bottom.

If you want them because you like bottomdwellers then thats different.