Weird snails

Barracuda-m

I just finished doing my weekly water change/tank cleanup and as usual, I have an abundance of snails.

I was plucking them out, and putting them in an empty bucket.

When I was done, and putting my stuff away, I noticed that several of the snails (there were no less than 50 in there) were bloody. They're all the same type, but some were "bleeding" and the rest weren't. I'm talking about a dime sized pool of blood underneath them.

Why is that? Are the little buggers sucking on my fish?

Wow! Vampire Snails.

What sort of snails are these? Do any of your fish look injured? I can think of any species of snail that would be quick and strong enough to damage a healthy fish. Have you done a fish count? The snails could've been eating a dead fish.

Other than that I have no idea.........

Wow! Vampire Snails.

What sort of snails are these? Do any of your fish look injured? I can think of any species of snail that would be quick and strong enough to damage a healthy fish. Have you done a fish count? The snails could've been eating a dead fish.

I don't know how you can only have several ramshorn snails... they seem to be multiplying in my tank like crazy,,,, there was even 2 that were connected at the head floating around my tank!!! why they were hooked up like that I dont know

Wow! Vampire Snails.

I don't know how you can only have several ramshorn snails... they seem to be multiplying in my tank like crazy,,,, there was even 2 that were connected at the head floating around my tank!!! why they were hooked up like that I dont know

The connected at the head would be them breeding.......

And I only have 8 right now (I was actually updating my signature while you were typing your post.) I've given away approximately 50 baby snails since I got the original 5 back in about April? I also diligently remove the egg sacks as soon as I see them. It was kinda neat when I first got them to see the eggs hatch and the baby snails grow, but now that I understand just how hardy these guys are, and just how many eggs they can lay, that novelty has worn off.

And the Ramshorns in the brackish tank? They only lay eggs after a freshwater change. (I alternate brackish and fresh, keeping the sailnity between 1.002 and 1.004.)

Wow! Vampire Snails.

And I only have 8 right now (I was actually updating my signature while you were typing your post.) I've given away approximately 50 baby snails since I got the original 5 back in about April? I also diligently remove the egg sacks as soon as I see them. It was kinda neat when I first got them to see the eggs hatch and the baby snails grow, but now that I understand just how hardy these guys are, and just how many eggs they can lay, that novelty has worn off.

And the Ramshorns in the brackish tank? They only lay eggs after a freshwater change. (I alternate brackish and fresh, keeping the sailnity between 1.002 and 1.004.)

Well it is good to know they are breeding.... when i pulled them apart I thought they were dead and I thru em in my tank with angels and my loaches but they are moving I see...

these ramshorns are the generic snails you get with plants right?

Wow! Vampire Snails.

Well it is good to know they are breeding.... when i pulled them apart I thought they were dead and I thru em in my tank with angels and my loaches but they are moving I see...

Nope. Google 'Colombian Ramshorn Snails' for a picture. My largest ones are about 2 inches in diameter.

The ones you get from plants don't lay visible egg sacks. (not visible to me anyway) I've had some success plucking those ones out by hand and tossing them to my oscar. I've never been overrun with them though. And the Columbian ramshorns also eat the smaller ramshorn/plant snail variety.

• 1 year later...
Wow! Vampire Snails.

Nope. Google 'Colombian Ramshorn Snails' for a picture. My largest ones are about 2 inches in diameter.

The ones you get from plants don't lay visible egg sacks. (not visible to me anyway) I've had some success plucking those ones out by hand and tossing them to my oscar. I've never been overrun with them though. And the Columbian ramshorns also eat the smaller ramshorn/plant snail variety.

I used to have a bunch of these, and they were awesome. I've been wanting to get some more for my ( non-planted ) tank. Does anyone have any they want to get rid of?

I just finished doing my weekly water change/tank cleanup and as usual, I have an abundance of snails.

I was plucking them out, and putting them in an empty bucket.

When I was done, and putting my stuff away, I noticed that several of the snails (there were no less than 50 in there) were bloody. They're all the same type, but some were "bleeding" and the rest weren't. I'm talking about a dime sized pool of blood underneath them.

Why is that? Are the little buggers sucking on my fish?

Yes, you must have thrown them in pretty hard. Snails have blood, nervous system, heart.. etc..