Cute little schooling fish

Finbert

It really depends on the Betta. I had one in with Neons (almost full size) and he gave up alright...after he had eaten 3 of em. I moved him into the Discus tank...and he was moved 6 days later as he chased the Discus (full grown) until he had them huddled under driftwood! Mind you, he was only aggressive towards the light colored Discus, left the blues alone.

Tammy

the betta will just get exhausted dragging his fins around and give up.

Think of chasing someone around in a very large and wide dress. :lol:

He didn't give up. He was fine with the neons, but then I added a couple otos and he went psycho. Otos are pretty fast too, but I guess not fast enough. It was the last straw when one of my co-workers found Bubbles with an oto's tail halfway down his throat. She smacked the glass and startled Bubbles for long enough for the oto to extract itself. The oto is fine and Bubbles has been re-homed, but that was a lesson learned.

In the meantime, I think the 10-gal is fully stocked, and maybe a bit overstocked, although everybody seems happy and the water quality is stable and good. So now I have 8 neons, 2 otos, 3 Kuhli loaches, and in theory several shrimp, although I've only seen one lately. My co-workers suspect they've become expensive snacks. I'm holding out hope that they're hiding really well.

Also, thanks Qattara and degrassi for the rainbowfish suggestion - I'm thinking about setting up an aquarium at home and those are very pretty indeed.