Vicious

Slough Shark

I put a couple of injured Guppy fry in my 10 Gallon with a Leaf Fish and a Betta thinking that they might live long enough for the Leaf Fish to have a go at them. Before they even reached the middle of the tank, the betta sucked them both up and swallowed em!!

I knew Bettas were carnivores, but didn't think they were piscivorous. Kinda cool actually.

I put a couple of injured Guppy fry in my 10 Gallon with a Leaf Fish and a Betta thinking that they might live long enough for the Leaf Fish to have a go at them. Before they even reached the middle of the tank, the betta sucked them both up and swallowed em!!

I knew Bettas were carnivores, but didn't think they were piscivorous. Kinda cool actually.

Yes, betta's do eat fry... if small enough for them to eat... any fry in fact! They prefer a protein rich diet... My fry won't even touch food unless it moves! I have a steady supply of microworms/brine shrimp/white worms/ hehehe now vinegar eels (purchased at the auction) haven't tryed them yet, still battling my ill betta's atm...

I tried to put my female in my larger guppy fry tank, they were a bit too big I thought for her to eat... she didn't care, she didn't manage to try and catch any she could, but I pulled her out as soon as I witnessed her brutality. NON of the guppies met a dinner date that day...

I dont know how accurate this is but.... I think some of my fish have callamanus from frozen food...

I found a few articles saying over feeding especially the frozen food can lead to this problem in your fish...

So when I feed the frozen food I am very careful to make sure it is eaten or removed promptly...

just a thought in regards to your outbreak in your betta's

Oh, wow... interesting...I do feed frozen shrimps etc... but I do believe this all started in my guppy tank months ago, and transferred to my betta tanks via vacuuming crossing the vacuuming to each tank.

Nevertheless, what I find extremely odd, is this is such a common parasite in fish, yet they have no effective medicines avail? I almost killed my entire stock of betta's from meds...I am certain my betta's no longer have the worms, if they do I can't see them not sure if all the meds cleaned them out, but I have giving them large amounts of water changes time will tell, but they aren't very happy atm... some might not make it!

My Guppies, still do only one tank though... I am gonna have to wait it all out, I can't do anymore meds... I am slowly poisoning them!

All recommended medicines did not work ! SIGH ! I spent a small fortune on meds all ineffective treatments so far... my only other option is to get it shipped in from B.C. but after my close call on loosing all my imported betta's i spent a small fortune for, its not worth trying at this point. Scared to death on medicines right now... med shy!

But thanks duff for the info, I will certainly be more cautious when handling frozen foods, I know my fry do not have anything wrong with them thank god... I have been extremely careful with them, and they eat live foods only... and I did not use the vacuum because of their size, I used always a sterilzed cup to scoop out the old water...

Thank god, I will get some breeders from this batch for sure, DTHM/HM/Super Delta's copper red/blues! They are starting to color too, shiney blue so far hard to really tell... I think I am gonna keep most of the DT's though...