Serrasalmus Sanchezi

t-man

I bought a piranha at the local fish store about 2 weeks ago. It was labeled black piranha and I asked if it was a rhombeus. They didn't know and looked at a piranha book and told me it was. They tried to call the supplier but he was not in at the time. I went back a week later asking if they knew where it was collected from and if they were sure it was a rhombeus. They got a hold of the supplier and he said it was collected in Peru and it was indeed a rhombeus.

Well I posted pics on the net at a different site and they all agreed it was not a Rhombeus but in fact it was a Sanchezi. I told the lfs what I had found out. They were nice to agree to take it back and apologized. They said they were just going by what the supplier had told them.

So when buying a Black Piranha make sure it's the one you want!!! I am now buying a 6" rhombeus from B.C. and it's being shipped on Sunday. I'll post pics after I get it. In the mean time here is some pics of the the Sanchezi the so called Black Piranha(rhombeus).

P.S. The reason I am not keeping it is due to it only attaining a size of 6" The rhombeus can get up to 24". Not that's a show fish.