tank setup

Chopperman

I am just going to start setting up another tank. It will be a growout tank for juvenile frontosa and malawi dolphins. I will also have 4-4 inch clown loaches and a bristlenose to go in this 50 gal. will have a fluval 404 and a A/C 50. I do have some hagen black gravel (the small pebbles), and I do have target playsand. My fronts are starting to dig alot so Im not sure about the sand only because I dont want the silt to destroy the filters. Is there any suggestions of the best substrate to use? Im not sure if i can keep live plants because they will probably be uprooted all the time and I do have bogwood and slate for it.

use the playsand for sure. dolphins are known as substrate feeders and they sift through the sand all the time. to prevent sand in the filter either raise the intake or put a piece of light foam around the intake.

I use sand with my Dolphin grow outs. When I had my fronts growing out, they had sand as well. I use AC's and the sand has never affected my filters. You can put a piece of foam around the intake if your worried about it, acts as a pre filter as well.

Allan

I did pick up some more gravel today and almost bought a rena xp3 to replace my fluval 303 :boxed: but the bank gave me a dirty look before I finished my interest in a new filter.

That's great!!! My bank always gives me dirty looks when I am checking out new toys too. Need to do something to fix that...................hmmmmmmmmm........lol

Edited by BigA