Sumps and pumps

rudy

Pics of both of the sump set ups I have running at the moment.

First tank is a 270 gallon 7 feet long, by 30 inches wide by 24 tall. Sump is a 106 gallon. Consists of 2 1.5 inch drains and 2 1 inch returns plumbed back into the overflow. Modified durso stand pipes as there is not enough room inside the overflow to do it properly. Works good, but if I did it again I would plumb another way. Mag 2400 pump provides the return. Return tubing is a spaflex flexy pvc I got from a hot tub store. Expensive, but cuts the sound level down substanitally.

Bio media are bioballs.

Second tank is a 135 gallon 6 feet by 18 inches, by 24 inches high. Drains are a cpr 1200 gph oveflow with a tom reverse suction pump to help with the suction (prevent floods). This unti was broken, due to an attempted preshipping try out. (I originally sold it) Due to breakage, the sale was off so I decided to use it. Glad I did, as super glue is an amazing thing and it works quite well.

Return is a mag 1200 pump plumbed to a single return at the other side of the tank. Again I used a combination or flexy and hard pvc to deaden the noise and also help plumb it over the top. Biomedia is shotgun shell wad (for reloading) and a few bioballs. After finding the shotgun shell wads I will never buy another bioball. Where else can you get 1000 for $20.

Couple notes. Just pulled out some driftwood out of the 270 and that is the reason for the yellow water.

Anyway hope you enjoy.

http://www.cichlidgallery.com/album201

hey rudy can you give me some tipps?

im gonna build a sump. it will be 4 feet long and 1 foot wide. I like your holding tank you built into the sump and I would like to have something like that. I just need an explination (I cant really see cause the glass is seethough)

It is designed to collect sediment that makes it through the drip tray. It is a modification of a design I saw once where a guy used micro bags to collect the crap. It works realitively well I syphion it out every once in a while.

You can come check it out if you want.