Support our Independents

Qattarra

It's nice to see that the independents are making an effort to deliver savings to the consumers. I make an effort to give them my business. I feel good about buying premium products from these vendors because I feel that I'm getting a fair price.

For sure. It ends up cheaper buying live stuff from them even if it is a little pricier up front because it seems to survive better and you don't have to go buy new ones/shell out for meds/replace the ones that caught what the new ones had even though you thought you quarantined them enough. Plus their plants tend not to bring plagues of snails. And on top of that, I find that often they /aren't/ pricier than the chains. My explanation (though I haven't verified it) is that better fish care means fewer fish deaths means lower overhead.

Right on the money Finbert. When I started expanding my tank count a few years ago I bought livestock from some of the biggest big box stores around. I bought several fish from the biggest one of all, if they lived more than a couple weeks I was doing well. The money I wasted replacing fish is crazy. If I'd gone to better stores in the first place I could have far more diversity and less cost in my tanks. Live and learn.

I too love the independant store where you can walk in and get the friendly hello from a person that knows your name and what you have in your tanks at home. They aren't pushy and they already have some clue what to small talk with you about or suggest for your tanks.

That experience is worth driving the extra mile for me. I also find that on most livestock there is a price drop on the LFS where as the chains tend to charge a pretty penny.

i had posted a month ago about how good the selection and service was at gold's and riverfront. and now after finally getting a chance to hit natures and AE they are on my top recomendations of stores to visit for anything. even if it cost a dollar or two more. atleast they are in it for the love of the hobby for them and us and not to make a quick buck. Also they are willing to share valuable information to anyone that asks. i could pick henry's brain for days and still only know half what he does. :thumbs: